Newbie to this group

• 7 replies
  • 65 subscribers

Hi there

Last year It took me a long time to pluck up the courage to post anything on the Macmillan forum as I couldn't believe cancer was happening to me. I took comfort and support from the lovely members of my group. After my Hysterectomy and brachytherapy I was told my body was cancer free. I'd had my quarterly check-ups and all was looking good. My most recent being the beginning of November.

A few seemingly unconnected problems, chest pains and shortness of breath as well as bowel problems made my GP to order a CT scan for me. I'd mentioned a few of these issues to my CNS and told her I'd had a CT scan and could she look out for the results for me. The same day I'd taken my hubby to hospital for a hip replacement op was the day I heard my cancer had returned and spread extensively. My CNS had put me on the MDT meeting for Monday & I met my Oncologist again the next day. Hubby was home, couldn't drive, so my bestie accompanied me to the consultation. 

I discovered  I'd lesions on my liver and spleen and large masses in my peritoneum, where my ovaries used to be and up against my liver. All inoperable. A bit of a bombshell to say the least.

I start chemo on Monday, 3 sessions 21 days apart. After session 3 a break when I'll have a CT scan to see how the tumours are reacting to chemo. All being well resume shortly thereafter for another 3 sessions.

I received the copy of my Oncologists letter to my GP in the post a couple of days ago and seeing the words in black and white have hit home big time. Seem to be months rather than years so I've got to be positive and think I'll fight these little s***s with everything I've got!

Just off to get my bag together for Monday, got Sudoku, colouring books, kindle, tablet and goodies. Had hair chopped off yesterday and 4 turbans have just arrived!

Will write again soon, B xx

• Hello Mrs B, I'm so sorry that you have reached that point when you've had to join this forum. None of us wanted to be here either, but that said, this is the right place to be for the comfort, advice and support it brings.

I had endometrial cancer and, like you, a total hysterectomy. Unlike you, I declined brachytherapy, as I learned that survival rates were the same with or without it. 12 months down the line the cancer had, rarely apparently, recurred to my spleen and by the time they got in there it had also attached itself to my pancreas and stomach. Following more surgery and a two-month hospitalisation I finally was sent home to face the end. But I didn't. I'm still here and currently in remission - what we on here call being 'Stable Mabel'.

I have learned that being handed a terminal disgnosis isn't the end we often imagine it to be. And I urge you not to fall into despair because  you are now at this crossroads. We are a family here and you can say whatever you need to say on here and we will understand. So keep talking and sharing and let us know how the chemo goes. [I too have a box full of turbans!] Big hugs to you.  Rainie x

• Welcome to the forum, sorry you have a need to be here.  Hopefully the chemo will do it’s job and reduce the tumours. As has been said don’t focus on how long they think you have, just get your affairs in order then enjoy your time, there are many people on here who are long past their sell by dates. I was declared terminal 2.5 yrs ago and I’m still ticking along

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Thanks for your encouraging replies, what I needed to hear!

B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Now then Mrs B, I was given 8 months to a year in 2017. Here I am years later just been told I'm stable mabel.

Loads of us have had the same experience. My hair came back like a mohican, it wouldn't suit you I'm sure but there was loads of it. You keep your chin up. Xx

• Hello there Mrs B, welcome to the group, but you know I am so sorry you have had to join us here. Everyone here are all so lovely, and very supportive, I know you will fit in well.

Good luck for Monday, sending lots of love and hugs xxx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Norberry that's encouraging to hear that you are doing great and defied the odds. As you and probably everyone else in this group has experienced the devastating news that you are terminal. And probably felt despair for a while then decide stuff it, I'm going to continue living. That's probably where I am in my head just now, last time I checked I didn't have an expiry date tatooed on my bum. Good to read an encouraging message. Kind regards Frank.

• Hi . Just checked my bum and there's no expiry date there glad to say. Thank you making me smile!

Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome, the start of a hopefully long and happy virtual relationship.

Hugs, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett