New primary cancer

• 46 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello all I’m just posting a quick update in case anyone was wondering. The hospital believe my new cancer is in the bile duct. Had a scan last Thursday, and a call yesterday to let me know they’ve made an appointment for this Friday. I’m trying to stay positive and keep busy until then. I haven’t been logging on as I’ve been trying to get my head around it all. I’ll read through your posts to catch up.

• Hi good to hear from you, though i wish it was with better news.

Until  you get to the appointment Friday, you do not know which way you are going, though fingers crossed and they have a plan,

Will be in my thoughts, and keep us updated, when you can.

• Thanks for your reply Ellie. I hope you are keeping well. I’m hanging onto the belief that as I’m not suffering from any symptoms, the news won’t be that bad. I have a new team of nurses and a different oncology doctor, so it may be that they’re not fully aware of what I’ve been told in the past. I’d just like to know exactly where the cancer is. It’s daft, I know, but I feel like I can handle it better if I know what it’s called! I hope the holiday season isn’t a difficult time for you. I’m very aware that not everyone is looking forward to it.

• Hi Jools, I was sorry to read this. On the positive side of things, you can live perfectly well without your gall bladder (where the bile ducts are I think). I got my gall bladder removed a very long time ago. So I'm hoping if anything needs done, that will be all it is!

It's always nerve racking when you are waiting to go to hear results but I hope it's not as bad as you think and all is well for the Festive Season!

please let us know how you get on today! I have everything crossed for you!!  Fingers crossedFingers crossedFingers crossed

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Good morning Jools,I hope you get the answers you need today and a plan is put in place. I've everything crossed for you. sending hugs and good vibes xx

Moi

• Thanks for your reply Annette. You’re right about the gall bladder. It’s definitely not needed to live. I’ve since learned that the cancer has gone from the bile duct, but has spread again, this time in my lung. The option is chemo and immunotherapy. I’ve looked into the side effects,  and the time it will take going back and forth for treatment. I’m thinking about opting for waiting until the next scan. I’m just over 7 weeks post op from my liver resection, and would like to be well enough to visit my family, who I haven’t seen since March. I think that maybe, if I can see them first, it will settle my mind ready for treatment. I hope things are going well with you, and that you’re able to enjoy the Christmas holidays.

• Thanks Moi. I’m in the process of weighing up my options! I’m leaning towards watch and wait until the next scan. I’m not sure I’m ready to commit to chemo and immunotherapy just yet. It’s very restrictive time wise, and that’s assuming I don’t suffer hideous side effects. I’ve got a few days to make my mind up. I’m not telling my family until after Christmas. They don’t know that I’ve had my results yet. I hope you’re doing well and have something nice planned for the Christmas holiday.

• Hi Jools, To be honest, I think you sound very sensible and you are the only one who can decide whether to wait or not. You don't say how long it is until your next scan. It could be 3,6,9 months or even 12, so that has to be featured into the equation too.

I know a lot of people take a break from treatment at this time of the year so maybe having a chat with your oncologist about that would be an idea, depending on how far away ur next scan is! I think it is very important to be in the right frame of mind to have either surgery or treatment and if you think you would feel stronger to cope with the regime giving yourself time to recover! feel stronger and also see your family, I don't think your Team would have any objections.

I do hope as well as telling us here, you have. Spoken, in confidence to a relative or friend, to get support!
    Please keep in touch and keep us up to date! Have a lovely Christmas and try to put it to the back of your mind, worrying won't change the future, so don't waste energy worrying! Take care

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Jools, it's good they have a plan for you  and it's uour body your choice. Personally I think a side efects free Christmas would be nice. Are your scans 3 monthly. Talk it through with you oncologist . I'm ok

We're going out for Christmas Dinner  7 of my family. Ray didn't want me cooking for everyone 

Have a lovely Christmas,  take care xx

Moi

• Thanks for your input Annette. I haven’t told my closest friend, or any of my family yet. If I go down the watch and wait route, my scan would be just under 3 months. The problem with that is that my prognosis is now only 6 months. The oncology doctor hopes that with treatment I could double that. I have tried to do some research on the chemo and immunotherapy, but it’s the usual side effects lists. I can only find one person in my bile duct forum who is on the drugs I’m being offered. I hope you had a decent Christmas.

• Hi Moi did you have a good Christmas? I hope your Ray made the right call to eat out! I’m going to see the oncology doctor tomorrow to sign the consent form. I’m still not 100% sure what to do. The side effects from both treatments are pretty much the same as all of the others. I’m just shy of 8 weeks post op, and am not sure I’m physically ready to start treatment. I hope you’re doing well.