Horizon - Dr Hannah Fry

• 6 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Did anyone else watch Prof Hannah Fry programme on BBC2 on Thurs eve? Was her own story of  cancer diagnosis in her mid 30s and then her exploration of the stats of cancer treatment. It was fascinating, bit mind blowing and over turned so many received wisdoms about cancer and treatments. Uncomfortable viewing in some ways, uplifting in others. You have been warned. if you decide to watch it on catch up.

• Oh, sounds interesting!  I'm gonna watch this.  Here's the link www.bbc.co.uk/.../m0017wzq

Edit: 1 hour later, LOVED IT.  

• Will have to have a look at this thanks in advance. X

• I've just watched the horizon programme it was very interesting .X

• I watched it last night.  It was very interesting. However, I couldn't help feeling angry on her behalf.

She's going to have to live wirh lifelong lymphodema in her legs because, whilst doing a radical hysterectomy they whipped out most of her lymph nodes down below.. And they weren't even cancerous!

Surely in this day and age they could have started the operation, had someone in pathology on standby and taken small samples from each lymph node then got on with the rest of the operation.

The path lab would then get on the blower to the operating theatre and say:

"We've examined the lymph samples for cancer and they're all clear. . No need to whip them out as well."Then she could have had some chemo to mop up any invisible stray cells.

Like she said in the programme, she's grateful that it's all gone, but it makes me wonder whether they should take more care with these operations, instead of a one size fits all approach.

I'd definitely recommend watching the programme.

• I wonder why she calls herself "Dr Hannah Fry" and yet she's a professor?!  Intriguing! Perhaps it's just as simple as the prof is a later achievement and the Dr title is from an earlier stage in her career, when she was just starting out.  

• The title Dr can be used by anyone who has a PhD, and confuses people who assume Dr means medical doctor. But she is clearly a very well qualified scientist ( maths) and to be a Professor in her mid thirties is quite an achievement, Not everyone likes to use the Professor as title, maybe out of seeming too lofty. I have a friend who is a Prof and he has alwyas been quite self denigrating about what being a prof meant - so he didnt use it much.