CT scan positioning problems unable to raise arms above head for chest, stomach and pelvic scan

• 4 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi at my last CT scan it showed a fair amount of tumour progression including a substantial enlarged lymph node under my left arm. i have lung cancer with mets in various places. mostly in the left  side of my body i was suffering from severe shoulder pain which meant raising my arm above my head for the scan excruciatingly painful. i told the radiographer who suggested holding my myrleft hand with my right one hand to keep it in position for the duration of the scan I tried to tell him how painful it was but he just said 'I'll try to be very quick. after  i left in floods of tears of pain and anxiety, subsequently i lost all grip (which is getting worse) in my hand when i had my oncologist review he  said the enlarged Lymph node most probably is pinching the nerve that radiates down that arm. i am now on Oxycodone (powerful morphin like pain killers- getting used to them and the in evitable side effects.   My main question is has anyone experienced anything similar. if so. is there an alternative to having to raise the arms above the head which i cant actually do . with the current most troublesome tumour just below the arm. when i asked my oncologist if i would be asked to raise my arms again he just looked at me sympathetically putting a sympathetic hand on my knee. empathetic perhaps but not a real answer I hope this makes sense.

Treatment wise the Oncologist cant attempt further radio therapy in that area as it is too close to where i had previous radiotherapy. the only chance is to try to use my 3rd type of chemo to shrink it enough to relieve pressure on the nerve. any suggestions welcome to help me with the inevitable future scans. 

•  If you cannot do it they will have to find an alternative. I am sure you won’t be the first. I had a back op and struggled but the Ct team. Put a pillow under my arms to support them and rushed as fast as possible to get the scan done then gave me time to gently reposition myself until I was ready to move. I’m sure they will work gently with you so they get what they need and you don’t suffer 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Like Remoh says, other alternatives . How are you able to bring up solutions?. I had something similar with MRI. I have stenosis in spine upper and lower made worse by disease infiltration. I was in agony. The radiologist just said grin and bear it!. I dont expect empathy but i felt like a conveyor belt of people waiting. I was in agony for 45 minutes. Laying flat is difficult.  Needless to say, those days are behind me now. I hope a solution is found.Heart

• Hi Sal, I've a problem because of spinal issues and always ask for a pillow under my knees and something under my neck, as, like Tony, I can't lay flat. This is never an issue and the team always have plenty of different pillows and wedges to choose from. [Tony - ask for pillows and wedges!]  Also, I can't raise my left arm above the head, so they always put the contrast into the right and I can just about manage that without hitting my elbow on the scanner - though that has happened a couple of times and I've whacked it going into the machine as I can't really control the movement of it. They also don't like you bending the elbow too much as it can interfere with the contrast going in.Doh!

I was told by the radiologist that I only needed to raise one arm if I couldn't manage both.  I hope you get a solution Sal and that it's a comfortable one. Keep pressing them and make them work at your pace.  Rainie x

• You sound in a similar position to me. I also find having my arms above my head, or placed straight agonising.

I ask for pillows to be placed under both arms, and it takes the pressure off a little bit.

But I agree, it's agony 

Xx