Cancer Pain Advice Please

• 6 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hello Again Everyone,

Having been diagnosed with incurable lung cancer in December 2023, and given a life expectancy of 6-9 months in early January 2024, I can now feel myself going downhill, slowly but surely. My chest pains are inconsistent and seem to be under some control with MST (30mg + 5mg being added in the evenings daily), Paracetamol and Lidocaine patches.

I am now finding that I am having more pains in the rear wall of my ribcage and I am wondering if this related to the cancer or just a normal back pain - I am not sedentary but I can't manage much exercise due to breathlessness and fatigue.

Any advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Bob

• Hi Bob, I wish i could help but i have different cancers, though my mum had lung cancer and had lower back and chest pains which we were told were due to the cancer growing, Mum never had any treatment so the pain could only have been caused by the cancer, Bob are you in contact with your palliative care team, they should be able to answer your questions. It's good to hear your meds are helping with the pain and you can still manage a little exercise, which i imagine is not easy. I hope someone comes along who can offer more advice, take care.

Eddie

• Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you're in in so much pain. Pain is so debilitating.

Have you asked your lc nurses to refer you to the hospice?  They can look at all your pain meds and maybe tweak things for you.here and there.

I know it sounds like a cliche, but the hospice nurses aren't just there for the end bit.  They are experts when it comes to pain management.

• Bob....ORAMORPH for the pain!!!

• Yes, I have Oramorph for extras but I am not keen on taking in too much morphine and it seems OK most of the time with MST and Paracetamol.

• Hi, Please talk to whoever prescribed your meds in the first place. If they are "sort of" working then maybe they only need tweaked a bit so they will work properly! They could increase the MST or the Oramorph perhaps and everything could improve for you!

I feel this is something you can't sort out yourself and what works for others may not work for you. Please don't struggle with pain, if your GP is easier to contact then he could contact the Pain Team for you! Please let us know how you get on and remember even the professionals can't give you an exact date and everyone here who is past their sell by date can confirm that!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette That is very encouraging to hear as when I asked if I was brown bread the oncologist assistant said yes which was a swift kick in the nuts to say the least . I have since been told by someone else that I am not toast yet which is encouraging , She said they have patients like me who are  getting treatment  4/5 years down the line which is amazing , No ones told me I am dying just that its incurable and in neck liver and lungs and besides that I am grand. All the Best Regards Minmax