HOLIDAYS IN DECEMBER

• 18 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi Everyone, As most people here know, my husband and I love having Short Breaks and Holidays, it's what keeps us going. We like home or abroad.

This year we would like to go again to one of the Christmas Markets. The ones we have been to so far are; Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Aviemore, York, Manchester, Berlin, Madrid and Munich. 
We wanted to know if anyone could recommend where we could go this year. We don't mind if it is Home or Abroad. We would be going for 3 or 4 nights, so don't want to spend too long travelling. For instance we would love to go to Brugge but there are no winter flights from Glasgow or Edinburgh so we would have to take two flights!

Anyone got any ideas, we'd love to hear them!

• Annette, this isn't Xmas but we were in Frankfurt & Cologne when this festival was on and it was a hoot. You might like it. Just make sure your husband wears on old tie he doesn't like much. Rainie x

https://thefrankfurtedit.com/german-carnival-fastnacht-all-you-need-to-know/

• Hi Rainie, That sounds interesting with the tie! What month was that? We could maybe try that next year!

thanks!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • That's the Carnival time , a lot of fun but also a lot of crazy and drunk people. Very crowded also.

• Thanks Pet, I'm not so keen on crazy and drunk people, maybe we will stick to the markets!

Just for anyone who is looking for Travel Insurance, until the end of this month StaySure are giving a 20% discount to any 'new' customers, so maybe it would be worth getting a quote!

Thanks everyone, not quite made up our mind yet. We have 1 holiday abroad (Majorca) and 3 breaks in UKbefore that. One in Durham, two in Scotland, Dundee & Pitlochry. So lots to look forward to!

Love Annette x

• Hi anndanv Have you thought about going on a coach trip to avoid all that airport aggro Brugee is beautiful but there are loads of other nice  places in the uk. All the Best Minmax Go on line and look at local coach companies and see what they offer , loads run from London to Europe 

• Thanks Minmax, I do know what you mean about avoiding airports etc but the problem is with my pain and mobility. Most coaches, I have problems just getting up the stairs to get on but apart from that I can't bend my left knee to an angle where I would be comfortable to sit like that for any longer than 20 minutes. Believe me I have tried it. We went on a Cruise and to get from the Port to the town, they had laid on buses, it took 40 minutes, by the time we got off, I was in agony and all we managed to do was go for a coffee then take a taxi back to the ship.

It is a case of working around the problems I have now. We have been lucky enough up to my diagnosis that we have travelled to many countries and places. Thank you for your suggestion it is very logical but not in my case!

Love Annette x

• Bath Christmas markets are good, Bristol as well, believe there are flights from Glasgow/edinburgh.  Unsure of your mobility but I enjoyed Lisbon. I also would like visit Dublin sometime. Equally Edinburgh is high on my list, although I expect that you’ve ‘done’ Edinburgh 

• Hi! There used to be a really big Christmas market in Lincoln....I haven't been but my sister used to go. It's a lovely interesting city to visit. Or try Christmas at Chatsworth House, in Derbyshire. Not exacyly a market, but a stunning stately home that really goes to town on Christmas themed stuff.

Kate