Running out of options

• 6 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all,

Been a while since I’ve been here. Don’t know if this is the right place for this little note.

The last eighteen months have had some highs and lows but alas we’re now looking at the end approaching.

My second chemotherapy has now failed, my number and placement of lesions makes other options unviable.

I have some options left, with very low success rates, but really it’s a matter of waiting now.  The journey has always been in one direction.  That was made clear from day one.  But you sort of still have hope.

Obviously the fear and perhaps despair are beginning to show their heads.

I’m still on the lists for potential trials, perhaps something will come up there.

I still feel pretty well.  We’ve done a few nice things in the past year, nothing extravagant or extraordinary but pleasant and enjoyable.  (Treatment regime made anything else impossible.)

I'm going to concentrate now on my unfinished hobbies: some figurine painting, unfinished books, puzzle books, unplayed board games, unfinished video games, and similar.

Good luck to everyone on their own uncertain journeys - live life each and every day you can!

• Best wishes x glad to hear you’re doing some fun stuff.

• I am sorry to hear this, though as you say, some thing may come up , some thing always coming up at some point, and hopefully it will.

Glad you are going to to do what you want, and have more quality time for your self. .Over the course of ones dx, nothing but appointments, and every thing goes, on the back burner.

I wish you all the best, on the road ahead, and hopefully, you will enjoy your time,

• Hi, I am so pleased that the Heading is "Running out of Options" and not Run out of Options!

Where there's life there's Hope! The odds I was told for a Trial were pretty grim but to me even another 5-6 months was worth it, if it worked. They are coming up with new Trials and drugs all the time. I hope one or the other will be just what you need!

Good luck enjoying your hobbies!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi  

I'm very sorry to read that your treatment options are dwindling. I very much hope there are some good trials going on. It always feels to me and maybe to you, that these situations happen to other people but we all must end up the other people eventually. I hope you know what I mean. Enjoy your hobbies. I hope there's some Spring sunshine on its way for you to enjoy. 

A x

• I’m sorry that you’re running out of treatment options, but you’re right to be hopeful of new ones becoming available. NICE have just approved 2 new targeted treatments for bile duct cancer. As with many treatments, they can often be used for multiple cancers, so let’s hope this is the case for you. You sound like a pretty positive person, but we all struggle at times. Have you had, or considered counselling? I hadn’t for the past 5 years, but as time goes on thought I would. I wanted to ensure that I have accepted my situation. I can honestly say that I’ve been surprised at how “empowered” it has made me feel. Cancer takes control of everything, and taking some of it back really helps me feel positive that I’ll be okay. I’m on the incurables forum, and some have said they have remained here well passed their expiry dates. 

• I just want to echo what Jools63 says about counselling and empowerment.

Maninbath