Pension headache (pun intended)

• 18 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hello everybody 

I am having problems trying to access my pension.I have sent all the forms including oncologist and employer forms but have been told that there is no timeline given to anyone applying for ill health retirement ? They haven’t even formally aknowledged they’ve received it. I’m really cross and want to pan some nice things before I can’t do them anymore. Has anyone else had difficulties and how did you get it resolved if you did. The pension company is Teacher’s Pensions. 
Thanks 

Jac x

• Hi No problem. I told them that my cancer is incurable and untreatable. They seemed to take this seriously as it was a  quite quick response. From memory they sent me an illustration and asked me whether I wanted to take a lump sum which of course I did as I don't know how long I have. I am very well at the moment! They did state that I can no longer work in any capacity for any employer or do any voluntary teaching without causing problems with my monthly payments. Which is fine by me! If you applied through the website and have had no follw up, I suggest phoning them. My friend did that and found them to be very helpful. Good luck xxxx

• I applied through the post with follow up phone calls. I can’t remember what I wrote but it’s c clear from the paperwork that I’m stage 4. I’ve got another week till I can chase up the complaint, then I don’t know what I’ll do. Can I go to the pension ombudsman once I’ve done that do you know? Thanks for your response 

Jac x

• Hi Jac, I've been thinking about this and I wonder have you been in contact with the HR Department where you worked? Or if you are n the Teachers Union, get them to take this up for you!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thanks Summer, yes this is what I looked at but doesn’t give much information. No links for ill health pension, just says I might be able to take it. None the wiser but thank you anyway

Jac x

• Hmm this only gives very brief info and no timelines for ill health that I can see but thanks for your persistence Summer

Jac x

• Thanks Annette but they told me at work that it’s nothing to do with them. The pensions company is a completely different organisation, nothing to do with the school or the local authority. To be fair they’ve  done their part. I just have to wait till Friday from a response to my complaint then I can contact the pension ombudsman. Someone I spoke to told the pension company they were doing that and it was sorted very quickly. 
    Thanks

Jac x