How do you know when it's time?

• 9 replies
  • 43 subscribers

How do you know when it's time to stop active treatment?

• I think this will be different for each of us. And when you're feeling rough and in a low mood because you're in hospital, it likely is something that inevitably lodges in your mind.

For me, at the point I'm at, it'd be - when I've exhausted all the options. Or, if the remining options would likely finish me off. I don't think I'd trade time if it meant that time was not worth having. 

You may just be going through a bad patch. It doesn't have to turn into anything more than that, so I'd just be concentrating on getting through it and getting home. I think we all make better decisions when we feel better and are surrounded by those who love us.

Wishing you strength, light, love.

Rainie x

• I would be taking the advice of your oncologist.  They have your best interests at heart.My treatment is currently paused for my body to recover after long term after effects. Treatment will resume when the onco deems necessary.

I am sure they are never always right but I do believe they try their hardest. Hoping for tge best for you.

• Aww Lucy im sorry that you are thinking like this. Keep your strength up and grt back home and I'm sure you will feel better . This illness is playing with our minds . Honestly I have every thought possible then with the help of these lovely people on here I try to snap out of it. Just keep thinking of the now and keep chatting to us lot .take care and big hugs xxx

• Lucy, no one can really answer that, until if may be there time, to say enough is enough.

What is making you think lie that, can i ask?

The oncologist can Taylor you treatment.

For an example, i had my first chemo when i started this journey, on the Monday and a very very rare side effect caused a heart attack.on the Sunday.

I was given six weeks of to recover, and when i next see the oncologist, i pleaded  with her to give me more chem, she said i will though not that one, i went on to do 8 chemo's.

Then 2 years  of immunotherapy,  I trusted my doctor all the way threw and still do.

Have faith, listen to the doctors ask questions, and talk with loved ones,

,  It is hard no to ways about it, though we do find strength from some where, and i hope you do.

xxx

• Hi Lucy, I agree with the others. Trust your Oncologist, discuss how you feel. I'm sure when we feel down these thoughts come creeping in. When I was told I had 5-7 months to live, I asked my oncologist is there anything I can try? Even a long shot and she found me a Trial!, I would always try anything rather than give up.

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Lucy

For me  it was when my Oncologist said that he could offer me this or that treatment, but the bad side effects would out weight the benefit i would get from it, if i had any.

It's a bit of a toughy because, in saying that, there maybe something for me down the line in the future. If there is i'll weigh up the pro's and con's and take it from there... again.

Hope your home soon and back on your feet.

Cat x

• Thanks for the replies.

I just feel like I spend most of my time in hospital these past few months.

And my blood calcium levels are proving stubbornly high

And my left lung is slowly filling up again

And I reacted to my Immunotherapy 

And I still struggle to eat, although I am managing soft fruit and ice cream now.

And I feel overwhelmed. Like  there is too much going wrong 

• Lucy I am so sorry you are feeling like this. In the years I have been on this group, I have seen this discussion several times. It’s the question of quality of life over quantity of life. This is not an easy decision, but must be your decision alone.  I have seen people call time on treatment, and go on to enjoy their remaining time knowing they did what was right for them. I have equally seen people who were at their lowest on treatment, but decided to continue, and turned a corner and was glad they continued. All you can do, as others have suggested, is talk to your oncologist. They will be truthful with you if you ask whether it is best to continue or stop. Remember with this rollercoaster ride you are on, you can find yourself in a different position tomorrow, so take your time, don’t rush into a decision. Xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • hi Chelle.

Good sound balanced advice as always from you, no one should rush any decisions, Lucy locket I know things are tough but give yourself time, I spent time in hospital at the beginning of m treatment and I wanted to give up on treatment, however I have continued and my treatment has stable used the cancer and my CT scans have confirmed this. 

Chelle is absolutely correct things can be different tomorrow, good luck with it all, whatever you choose.

Good wishes Donna