The Book Club Thread

• 72 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi all been chasing about books today and Shadders suggested starting a book club. So here we go.

1. We take turn a piece of picking a book.

2. We each read the story, by book, kindle , audio.

3. We give our opinions .

4. Shadders should pick the first book.

Anyone interested ?

Moi

• Hi Jac I'll order it o amazon and get stuck in. xx

Moi

• Thank you Jac. She was writing until shortly before she died, in 2017. Yes, unfortunately it was cancer. I will read her books too, xxxxxx.

• Hi  

Great idea! I am always reading and enjoy Between the Covers as well. I am currently trying to get through my bookshelves before I permanently lie down. It's a case of too many books, not enough life. I like Anne Tyler, Elizabeth Taylor (no not that one). I also like crime books, Lisa Jewell and Lisa Gardner. I want to get through all of Lisa Gardner's books, which is about 13 of them so far. I'm also reading books about cancer, self care (just started Tess Daly's book - 4 steps to a healthier, happier you) and gardening (Alan Titchmarsh -Gardeners Almanac). I also like wartime stories and anything to do with Marilyn Monroe. 

So, as you can tell, I'm a bit snowed under to be able to join in. Would anyone be interested in book reviews?

A x

• Yes that would be great, it gives people an idea what is out there. xx

Moi

• Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus.  We bought two copies for my MiL and daughter for Christmas.  MiL enjoyed it.  Daughter struggling a bit with it.  Both are Chemists or that way inclined.  If I can get my hands on a copy from either of them, I'm up for it.  

• Hello Sistermoon, I just want to jump in here and say I’ve been a Marilyn Monroe fan since my teens! At one point, I did have quite a few books on her. I would collect any magazine articles too, posters and have lost count of the number of times I’ve watched, ‘Some Like It Hot.’ 

• Hi  

Me too! I collected a lot in my teens but didn't have storage space in my last house so got rid of them, which obviously I now regret. I've since been collecting again though. My favourite film is The seven year itch. A good author to look out for re Marilyn is Michelle Morgan. She used to run the fan club years ago. Michelle is the same age as me and had cancer as well last year, diagnosed in January 22. Her latest book covers when Marilyn was in England making The Prince and the Showgirl. It's called When Marilyn met the Queen. That's in  another stack of to be read books. See, snowed under and I managed to read about 25 books last year. Too many books too little time xxx

• Yes. I'll give it a go. Although my concentration is sadly lacking just now. Xx

• Not looked at those. Will have a gander. Thanks.

At the moment I'm reading 'A Terrible Kindness' by Jo Browning Wroe. It starts with the tragedy in Aberfan, but is largely about the life story of the main character, who is an embalmer. It's well written and engaging. I hope it doesn't go off into a self-indulgent morality trip, but OK so far - about halfway through.  Rainie x

• Hi Ladies, just read this thread, I prefer books that are escapism, detective, sifi ect but willing to give anything a try, good job I'm used to being the only male.WinkWinkWink