General crafts thread

• 52 replies
  • 48 subscribers

I thought I would start a general crafts thread. We can ask questions and share our projects. Works in progress and completed ones are welcome, with no pressure. If we digress sometimes, that's ok too.

ThumbsupThumbsup

Small victories are welcome Heart

• Won’t let me post emojis, that was meant to be WOW!

•  I’m cracking on with the blanket. Any knitters out there know how I can solve the problem of the thread joining the two sides that occurred when I knitted from the wrong side instead of swapping needles. 

• That’s awesome :) I am definitely learning to knit lol 

M x

• I love the colours you’ve chosen Heart eyes. I wish I could assist on the knitting advice but hopefully one or two of our talented group members will come forward. xxxxxx

• That's lovely Shadders,

There is so much on Youtube these days, maybe worth taking a peek on there, someone may have done a clip on how to.

Looking at your needles, and some of my sisters that she has { i don't knit } you can buy some beautifull knitting needles these days. Back in the 'ol days' it was just the grey bland plastic ones.

I love going to the wool shop with my sister, seeing all the colours and imagining the jumpers made from it. I don't like bought jumpers, they don't have any real warmth to them. Hand made are so much more snuggly !

I used to spin Alapka fibre on a wheel and drop spindles, but i sold my wheel as i don't have time for it now, my Pyrography and drawing take up any craft time i get. i still have my drop spinals though.

Cat x

• Thanks Cat, my ex headteacher retired to Shropshire and now has alpacas and angora goats which she spins her own wool from then dies it and sells it. It looks beautiful but I haven’t bought any. She does a little pack for knitters socks which I might go for cos I like the idea of knitted socks, very cosy! I am not brave enough to knit a jumper yet but another ex headteacher friend has just knitted a beautiful jumper for her granddaughter. It’s very special. Yes I will look on you tube good shout 

Jac x

• As you probably know shadders, angora is really soft, Alpaka is as well, and i found nicer to spin than than sheep fleece because it hasn't got Lanolin in it, the oil from the skin, therefore you can pin it 'raw', fleece you have to process, wash before you can spin.

It's that, that makes Aran jumpers smell when they get wet. The softer fibres like Alpaka & Angora are mainly for clothing, blankets and scarves etc, it's not hard enough wearing for socks. Crea, baby Alpaka's.... ooh my, their fibre is the softest, like cotton wool, but very expesive.

I've only ever made one jumper an i cheated by knitting lots of squares and stitching them together !

Cat x

• Oh disappointing about the socks, maybe bed socks? X

• Ooooh your toes would be lovely and toatie in those !!

Cat x

• She does a little pack for knitters socks

Oooh can you share a web link or details so I can google?  My daughter is interested in knitting socks. 

For Yarn on the wrong side, or in the middle of a row, you can use a tapestry needle to darn it into the knitting - just run the thread underneath the knitting stiches to the row end or about 5cm+.    Another technique for joining yarn is a french join where you split the wool into threads and bind it to the new ball then just knit it in continuously.  Never done it myself but daughter has adopted it because she hates tying ends off!