Mindful activities - what do you do?

• 17 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi all,

I love performing activities mindfully, these can be as simple as doing the dishes slowly and with purpose, to things like art and active meditation.

One good thing to do is puzzles, but I always hate packing them up when I'm done! So, I found a lovely Lego Orchid that I've been slowly working on. I can then, when it's finished, leave it out as a display piece! They have lots of pretty flower arrangements and things, and it is so fun to do something quietly, and think about nothing else.

Do you have any activities that fulfil this need?

- MM

• I tend to look for distraction, I do puzzles like wordle, waffle and nerdle. I play words with friends and scrabble. I enjoy reading books, though my attention isn't what it used to be and I struggle to concentrate. The things that work best for me are choir practice, pilates, aqua aerobics and dog walking, the first three really take me out of my day to day anxieties and the dog walking seems to help with perspective and thinking of ways of dealing with issues. 

Sarah 

• Aqua aerobics sounds really good actually! Choir practice would be amazing too because of the social aspect as well. What sort of dog do you have?

• Choir has been amazing, I'm in the Sheffield Cancer Choir, and it's lots of fun and a very supportive group. 

We have two dogs, a sproodle (springer spaniel/poodle) and an Irish doodle (half labradoodle half red setter) 

This is them trying out a kennel that we think might work when we are campervanning! 

Sarah 

• Beautiful dogs Sarah! Sooo cute!

MM I like to paint, at the moment I am into watercolours and focusing on still life but hoping I get the confidence to branch out a bit. The cancer choir sounds like a good place to be Sarah I wonder if there’s one near me. I love to walk too but have no dog! I get comments about having no dog! People can be a bit suspicious! Pilates helps me too and gardening in the warmer weather lol x

• I go for the distraction approach; going to work, running and orienteering club, although I think that's on a slightly different level to mindfulness. I used to go for a run when I got frustrated/annoyed/overwhelmed etc before C, but now I tend not to run from home due to physio issues.  Plus I had a target to be able to go back to run club for the social, and I've achieved that now.

Is anyone into Myers Briggs (personality) Type Indicator?  I love this stuff!  I refer to it as "why people are annoying!" (because they are not me!).  It explains why an approach would work for some personality types and not for others.  Why some prefer "pictures" others prefer bulleted lists etc 

• I do distraction too - but also work full time from home so often am distracted enough anyway haha! Hence the mindfulness. 

Yes I love the Myers Briggs! What type are you?

• ISTJ Grinning  You'll never meet anyone more J than me!! 

• I paint and also am a mixed media artist. Colour is a very therapeutic tool. I've also gone back to singing despite having a compromised lung and diagphram. It helps with breathing and is uplifting at the same time. Rainie x

• Mindful activities - baking, especially Bread (bread) and Cake (cake).  Also making soup.