Is it normal at times to feel jealous of the 'curables'?

• 9 replies
  • 45 subscribers

When I first joined the Online Community I gravitated towards my particular cancer group and everybody was lovely and welcoming.

But I gradually realised there was a group called Living With Incurable Cancer and these days find myself hanging out here most of the time.

When I do occasionally go back on the other group, I'm ashamed to say,  I often feel a tiny pang of jealousy when I hear people talking about their operations, operations they're having because their cancer is a lower stage and their doctors are treating them with a view to a cure. Or they have a certain gene or mutation that can be targeted

I'm pleased for them but also a bit jealous and wish that I was being offered operations or had some gene that could be targeted.

But unfortunately I have Stage 4 NSCLC and I wont get offered an operation.

Just wondering if I'm a horrible person having these jealous thoughts,

I'm not like it all the time and I am generally pleased for people but am envious at the same time.

Its been a tough weekend, I have scan results coming up in the coming week and I'm not expecting them to be good, so everything seems magnified at the moment.

hence the late evening ramble.

• I think at the beginning everyone is jealous of those happily going about their lives with no worries.

Eventually you come terms with it and it stops preying on your mind. They are in that club, you are in this club.

Everyone worries at scan results time. There will be a plan for you whatever your results, of course you will have good days and bad days, but you know that.

So many of us on here have been written off with an awful diagnosis, still here though.

Have a bit of faith in your team, we none of us know what's around the corner, as the song says ....things can only get better....

Best wishes for your results.

• I totally agree with what A123  has said.

I take no notice, as time has gone on, i hear what you are saying, but even people that have operations , does not always work out for them, it comes back, so they are then in the same boat as us.

All the worrying in the world, does not alter what might be.

I am pleased when people are stable and long may it continues for them.

People that belong to lung group, sometimes then land up in the incurables 

We have to trust and go along with our Oncologist, it is their job,to do the best  for us,and i am sure they do.

• I am also stage 4 from day one, and come march 17th fr me will be seven years, I have just been told, i am suitable for target therapy if needed, i have a gene related cancer, i did not know that till a month ago.

• Waiting for scan results is a horrible time Harebellle, and there is no shame in admitting you are jealous of other peoples curable diagnoses. We all wish we could live without cancer, but it is the card we have been dealt unfortunately. Having these feelings only makes us human. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Chelle

I was in two minds whether to delete my post but then thought, "this is surely a safe space where we can share our dark thoughts as well as the good and without judgement" Xx

• We all have dark thoughts. It goes with the territory and isn't something to be ashamed of. Scan time focuses the mind on what's coming. Inevitable. The trick is to acknowledge this and find a way to go up again. So give yourself a bit of love and something good to do. You'll go up again soon. Hugs from Rainie x

• Hi

i have breast cancer that has spread to my bones so to incurable. It was like a breath of fresh air to read your post because I thought I was just being awful being jealous when others could have it removed. I still struggle with the fact mine is always going to be an unwanted tenant.

I have been on meds for nearly a year and next week due to have a scan to see how it’s going. Every little pain I get now I think it’s spread. 

Keep positive 

• Hi  

I know where you're coming from with this. I have the same thoughts sometimes. But then I think back to what one of the Champions told me. She said don't fixate on the stage as she has seen people with stage 4 live on, whilst people of lesser grades and stages had passed. There are no guarantees with cancer even for those told they have been"cured". It changed my outlook and now I just try to think cancer is cancer, who knows what will happen. 

A x

• Glad I'm not the only one xxx