New Skills

• 68 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi everyone, l saw a post on another thread from  that she is learning a new skill of calligraphy. That's prompted me to begin a new thread entitled New Skills, Elliekate is learning one every month. I'll be happy beginning and mastering the basics of one every year but maybe given my bone marrow cancer diagnosis, I'll try to learn the basics of one every 6 months. I've been diagnosed now almost 8 years so wish I'd started earlier! 

I'm going to learn willow weaving, I planted 1500 willow trees for 5 or so years until my back gave up 7 years ago. I hope to harvest the trees from now for fuel for my wood burning boiler stove that will do my central heating once I dry the wood.

1500 trees gives me more branches that I'll need and I now have some willow whips that are different colours for making baskets etc. I'm not what you would call arty but I can follow instructions in 3 or 4 books I have on the subject.

Anyone else started a new skill lately or have I sparked any interest and inspired anyone?

I made a few of these 3 or 4 years ago. Never did woodworking in my life, put a few shelves up and put skirting up but never actually made anything. Proud of them I am, Mrs Tvman did the paintwork.

Take care everyone

Tvman xx 

• Oh yes, tvman, love the throw down! They are so talented. I love the feeling of the clay so am really doing it for the process and if I can make something it will be the icing on the cake! Loving this thread, so interesting to see what everyone is up to, you are all so clever. Love Catmarels pyrographs and can’t wait to see your willow weaving! 
    Love Jac x

• Hi Shadders, I did pottery in school and loved it!

Hi Tvman, I too love that show! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • You were so lucky Annette, do you think you might take it up again? I did it with the children as a teacher but there was nowhere to fire the pots unless the school had a kiln. It’s quite difficult to find somewhere to fire stuff. I might have to get in with the art teacher at the local secondary school.

Love Jac x

• Hi Jac, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do it now as the clay is far too heavy for me and as you say less kilns.

Love Annette x

• Shame that you can’t use clay anymore Annette, are you getting creative in other ways? 

• Yes Jac I do try! I enjoy Caligraphy but have to start and stop due to Osteoarthritis, I used to knit a lot also, our granddaughters have full wardrobes of knitted dolls clothes, school uniforms, nightwear, daywear, ponchos, hats, gloves and scarves and they love them. On holiday just now and enjoying playing jigsaws and word games on my iPad mini. I read lots more than I used to and really love that too!

Love Annette x

• Hi Annette would you believe I also do Calligraphy but only in short bursts due to osteoarthritis, in my hands, blinking Fabulous 

• Looking forward to seeing your willow sculptures tvman. Enjoy the process. Rainie x