On being overweight

• 49 replies
  • 50 subscribers

I have been putting on weight lately. I don't think I can sugar-coat it, I've spent the last 4 months eating my body weight in chocolate, mince pies and the like. I have been feeling unhappy about having cancer and that I always will, till I pop my clogs. Now, I must make it clear that in this I am talking about my self image and self judgement when I say that it's tough enough at the best of times getting my cancer-ridden overly ample figure through my Pilates session and round the block on a walk and being heavier and having more padding in the way is not in any way helping. And I've fallen off the swimming waggon completely. I always was so fit and active, I tell myself, I did a physical job and walked everywhere and I am crestfallen about what's become of me. OK I have to have cancer and I don't want to, but I don't have to give in to being unfit, right? Well, unfit I am, and less fit than I could be. Oh, I don't feel good about having gained weight, and I stopped fitting into my jeans weeks ago.

I can admit to having had a kind of self destructive death-wish about my recent biscuita/cakea/chocaholism. It goes like this. I don't drink any more due to the disease in my liver, and I have zero self control so I'd better not start that again. So if not an evening glass of wine, how about a 200g bar of chocolate instead...a couple of nights a week...when I'm not eating mince pies? Or even as well as mince pies? And a cake after every meal and in between meals and a packet of biscuits before I go to bed? Yes I feel knackered because of the treatment and the disease and I feel worse being overweight but why should I exercise restraint on top of all the other rigours and privations of having b. cancer? Raising my blood sugar and my blood pressure and having a fatty liver can't be good for my outcome but I'm stuffed anyway, right? And I feel pretty terrible about having secret binges which my missus always notices and forgives me but I know she's unimpressed and the dog is insane with jealousy and Oh pass the biscuits....

Well I've managed this week to not buy more chocolate and not eat everything in sight, and I've sort of stopped putting on weight, but that's not going to make it easier to move unless I actually lose a bit. And I don't know the rules of the game now- if I cut things out (well other than cakes obviously) will I send my bloods out of whack? What if my calcium goes too low due to chocolate deprivation? What if I need the extra layer later on...which nutrients can I do without? Obviously the sweet stuff but where's the fun in life without a sticky toffee pudding? I'm in mourning....no I'm not, there's still some in the fridge...

So, answers on a postcard please. Do others recognise this sorry tale of addictive eating in the context of feeling sh*t about what's happening inside my body? Do others struggle with the person they see in the mirror? Have others, and how have others stayed as fit as they can for as long as they can, and has anyone got a really really good recipe for Chocolate Guinness Cake?

• Oh....I like that kind of accident!

• Hi Your daughter sounds very clever! Is that what they do at Uni now, bake & eat cakes!! Well at least you didn't eat it, so we'll done!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Sarah, There are things you could do that would help change your eating habits if you're unhappy about your situation. I don't think you'd be up to radical changes or welcome them, but there are tweaks that would help you overall, with weight, with neuropathy and with your bloods.

Most people make cakes using white flour and white sugar. If you start switching over to wholemeal flour and brown sugar that would be a good start. The same goes for wholemeal pasta and wholegrain rice etc. Wholefoods stay in your gut longer, digest and release sugars more slowly and are generally much more satisfying.

Also chocolate: if you are addicted to Cadburys then you're not really addicted to chocolate. You're addicted to fat. Tackle the fat content of your diet and the pounds and other problems will begin to recede. If you can bring in a low fat, wholefood diet you will turn things around. I did and my diabetes and neuropathy are no more. I was glad to say goodbye to both and I'm never hungry. And I also have a little chocolate too, but it's 70% cocoa and no dairy in it. Good luck.

Rainie x

• Sensible advice Rainie. My girlfriend says I should make cakes rather than buy them, same thought, reduce the crappy processed food. Might give it a go...

• For the last 5 days I've cut out wheat and it's made a difference already.  My stomach is less bloated and I'm less tired.  Still have awful fatigue after doing anything,  but getting up earlier in the morning.

• Balmy I've cut down on wheat as well.  I'm trying to do low carb. I looked into Keto but think that would be too extreme and could do harm, considering the treatment I'm having.

But I think cutting out simple carbs and processed stuff can only help.

• I've also started making cakes using almond flour and coconut flour instead of ordinary flour.  I zaso made a flaxseed load the other day. It was really tasty.and was more the consistency of a teabread but was nice with butter.

• Has anybody made this?  It satisfies the cravings for 'bread'

In a large  mug, melt 1 teaspoon butter in the microwave, then add 2 heaped teaspoons of almond flour and 1 teaspoon of coconut flour (can ommit the coconut flour sland use 3 tspns almond flour,instead 1/4 tspn of baking powder, 1 pinch salt + 1 beaten egg.

Mix it well in the mug and zap in the microwave for 90 seconds

Tou now have a tasty and healthy breakfast muffin.  You can add grated cheese to make it savoury or make it sweet with stevia, or cinnamon, vanilla essence, blueberries.) 

But I usually do it plain.

Tip out onto a plate and slice it in half and spread with margarine or butter.

I very often have this for breakfast as its so easy and quick to make!

Tip -Make sure you get almond flour and not ground almonds

• Definitely going to try the wheat free muffins!