Coping mechanisms

• 34 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hello all and sorry to meet you in these circumstances. 

Im 27 and just found out I have incurable cancer. I’m afraid of becoming a burden to those I love more than I am of death, and I don’t know what to expect. My cancer is in my brain and spine so I know it won’t be pretty. 

I wanted some advice from those in similar boats, what can I do to cope with this news? How do I decide whether to keep working or not? I’ve got some side effects from some tumours that are yet to be treated but hope they at least go away soon, but have a feeling I’ll be leaving this earth sooner rather than later. 

Please, if you can offer any words of wisdom or advice, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Love yo you all. 

• Ah mementomori I am so touched by your message. It is lovely to hear that I helped you a bit I feel very honoured. Of course I have no objections to your quoting my sister, though it's very lovely of you to ask. I am also finding it so helpful to find people here who understand and aren't afraid of the dark side ie really talking about what we are facing. Keep on keeping on, as they say. 

• I try to do what's necessary and beyond that keep in my life the things that sustain and nurture me and ditch the drainers. It's easier said than done but I believe it's part of the human condition that we don't always use our time to the max. But I read a New Scientist article once about how boredom is an emotion that is, contrary to what some may think,adaptive ie helpful- it's a driver of inventiveness. If it's true of boredom, maybe it's true of 'time wasting'. People who are not diagnosed with life limiting conditions don't always get their use of time spot on,so why should we? Are the time police on our case along with the effing cancer cells? It's a rambling (sorry)way of me offering the idea that if you find work fulfilling there is nothing wrong with continuing to do it as long as you also have time for fun, rest, staying active, loved ones who fill your tank and other stuff you want in your life. And I'm sorry that your plans to be a doctor didn't get to fly how you thought they would... nothing is wasted, I have to believe that having failed at much in life.

• That's very true Sarah, we should not place extra expectations on ourselves even though we have "limited" time - in a way, so does everyone! Anyone could die at any given time, so I guess we're kind of blessed in that we respect the time we have, perhaps more than others.

I had a friend say (jokingly) that he would be mad at me if I was still working full-time, but honestly, I want the sense of normalcy and usefulness as long as I can have it! Also, I want the freedom of money to be able to do whatever I feel like with my partner and friends. I don't feel the need to justify my reasoning to everyone, and I have no reservations with telling people to back off if they cross a line, even if it's out of concern for me.

Thank you so much for your time, and I feel like I've already made many friends on here - yourself being one of them!

• Aw you don't need to thank me for my time!

X X 

• Hi MM and Sarah, I don't know where I am reading your posts happy and crying at the same time, but still glad to have read them

• It’s so nice to hear we brightened your day a little, I know all of us here could always use some more happiness! Sending you love and peace from Australia <3

• Hi MM must be getting on towards bed time now, my friend likes to be contacted between 8/10 they go to bed early.

• Definitely well past my bedtime now! We had to go rescue a friend with a flat tire haha so a bit delayed in getting to sleep. Enjoy the rest of your day!

• Hello M. You had a reply a few days ago from Pet1968. She's an Aussie as well so you can share kangaroo stories!