Online medical records - good or bad?

• 15 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi all

My hospital uses MyChart which enables you to access all your medical records online including appointments, letters, test results and medication.

I’m in two minds as to whether this is a good thing or not. On the one hand it’s great having access to all that info and it’s so much quicker - letters available with days, appointments organised online and I’m fascinated as to what one can find out with a simple blood test.

However, having access to all that information is also the worst thing about it.  I see the ct report and need to know there and then exactly what these various medical terms mean, even if my consultant has already been through it with me.  So I ask Dr Google and well that’s never a good thing to do but I need to know what it actually means so I look it up and end up freaking out.  

Now my consultant has told me on more than occasion, information is one thing, but you need someone to interpret what it means in the context of you and she’s obviously right. So in that case do we even need the likes of MyChart?