Online medical records - good or bad?

• 15 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi all

My hospital uses MyChart which enables you to access all your medical records online including appointments, letters, test results and medication.

I’m in two minds as to whether this is a good thing or not. On the one hand it’s great having access to all that info and it’s so much quicker - letters available with days, appointments organised online and I’m fascinated as to what one can find out with a simple blood test.

However, having access to all that information is also the worst thing about it.  I see the ct report and need to know there and then exactly what these various medical terms mean, even if my consultant has already been through it with me.  So I ask Dr Google and well that’s never a good thing to do but I need to know what it actually means so I look it up and end up freaking out.  

Now my consultant has told me on more than occasion, information is one thing, but you need someone to interpret what it means in the context of you and she’s obviously right. So in that case do we even need the likes of MyChart?

• I know people on here who want to know everything single thing. I know an equal amount who don't want to know anything. I'm in the middle.

It is true that sometimes its just mumbo jumbo and even when it gets explained you are none the wiser.

Certainly its has already taken over your living moments don't let it get inside you any deeper..

Any use?

• I'm really cross - I was just typing a reply and the forum changes page and says "you have been logged out"  GRRRRR  Stand by whilst I do it again in "safe mode"

• Great post!! 

I really feel for our NHS with their antiquated IT systems and their patient paper files. . . .  

I think it is far better to have the data available and then people can choose whether to look at it or not.   For me, I’ve wanted online bloods available when things were uncertain and we were tracking a marker (creatinine) to a lower target before my treatment could resume.   I found it very frustrating that I had to phone in if I wanted to monitor the situation and ask for them to be read out to me like a primary school kid. Rage

I also thought the NHS were trying to treat people like adults these days, with an emphasis on patient lead informed decisions and a much more collaborative approach.  The consultant remains accountable of course, but I’m sure there have been studies that suggest when people feel included they experience better outcomes.   Therefore giving people access to their own medical data can only be a good thing, and aligned with this collaborative framework.  I am sure the nurses would much rather be nursing than a call handler reading out test results to interested patients. 

When I was visiting my onco last Tuesday he gave me a printout of the full radiology report.  You’re right, it’s full of jargon.  I googled a bit (like “pulmonary” - don’t laugh!!).  But I didn’t go through it with a tooth comb because the desire for in-depth understanding isn’t there at the moment because things are going OK for me.  You can still google your symptoms and options and read medical white papers on pubmed so having online access to your data is not going to manage the anxieties possibly induced from the internet. 

I suspect there are some old school consultants who don’t like their patients asking questions and they find it easier to manage by being the gatekeeper to the information.   I think there should always be private areas of online medical data so the consultants can send private emails to each other outwith the sight of the patient – so that when appropriate the information can be released in a controlled way at the right time by the right person. 

I don’t have online access.   I know many here do.  When I tried to get access to an online Renal tool I just experienced blockers. 

I'm definitely in the "information" and "transparency" is a "good thing" camp.  We shouldn't have hierarchical relationships with our consultants.  I certainly don't and we both enjoy working together as a result.

• Well I won't be crossing swords with you Mmum!

Elysian,  I think Mmum has put us both right now, good luck.

• Good morning Eĺysain, I have access to my Gp records, it has everything about me in it and I haven't looked at it yet as I don't feel I need to see it at the moment. This is through my new GP surgery, had to change when I moved and they are very High tec. I'm not in a good place at the moment so don't need to look at it. So I'm on night patrol at the moment, not wondering about the house, just eating my way through the fridge lol xx

Moi

• If it is about me I want to be able to access it.

We don't have MyChart in Sheffield, when I have blood test I have to leave a message on my liaison nurses answerphone asking her to call be back with the results, then I have to write then down, I've been sent some of my scan reports but not all of them. I find it frustrating. I understand that there can be an issue with medical language, but that's not an problem for me. I would be happy to wait until I can discuss the scan results with my consultant before seeing them, but it would be helpful to have them afterwards. When I have face to face appointments he will print them out for me, but I've not had a face to face for ages.

I agree with Mmum, we should work together with our consultants, despite the lack of straightforward access to my information I do feel that I have a good relationship with my consultant and with my liaison nurses. I have confidence in them. 

Sarah 

• Hi all, both my wife and I have the NHS app it does everything your discussing, I find it very useful to be able to make our own appointment's, and link them to the phone calendar, no being 15 in line.

Report's on blood tests ect without ring up ect, so long as they can keep our personal data protected, then it's ok buy us, but I can fully understand the feelings of distrust of tec nothing works 100 percent all the time, happy thoughts to all 

• I have the nhs app but it doesn't show hospital records. My practice does not let you book appointments through it.  I can order my repeat prescription through it and view my gp coded record, so gp ordered tests are available, most of my tests are ordered by the hospital though. If I want a GP appointment I use their own website and fill out a form, they usually get back to me reasonably quickly, though the appointment may be in a few weeks! 

Sarah 

• Hi Elysian,

Interesting question. I don't have access to my medical records. I have my hospital letters and that is enough for me. My home NHS Trust has been paperfree for about 2 years and my apts with them come through as a text and postal letter if needed  eg. Fasting information etc.

I think that knowing and understanding are 2 different things and it's very easy to Google information and cause myself unwanted anxiety. I like to know what's happening to my body but would rather ask a professional with many years of learning and experience.

A x

• I'm just returning from a visit to my parents and my Dad showed me "Systmonline" with all of his appointments, test results, medication., triage results.  Excellent!  Alongside the test results were (in brackets) the normal value and then an icon to click for more information.  Now I am well jealous.