Terminal lung cancer more than 2 years on

• 16 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi everyone I’m a 2 year terminal lung cancer sufferer. I was given a 3-6 survival time and am hanging in there. I’m also just about to be discharged from the army at the end of the month. I’m have been so lucky over the last 2 years. My wife and I have bought a house settled in our chosen area with our kids. 

im just about to turn 42 and the strain of everything is really starting to take its toll on me. What do my family do after I’m gone?  It’s been so long that I sometimes forget I even have cancer and just muddle along doing my best to keep everything going. I worry about the family a lot and about they are going to do after I’m gone but mainly when will I go?  The time has just crept up on me and I’m starting to struggle like I did at the start of mY diagnosis. I’ve kind of hit a mental wall where it’s been so long with the illness that I think will it ever end?

Does anyone else feel like that or have doubts about when or if ?

• Hi Gray & welcome.

I completely understand how you’re feeling. I’m currently going through the process of ill health retirement at work.

I think for me this has been the toughest bit to deal with because it makes it all feel so real and final. Some days I feel like I’ve been thrown on the rubbish heap! No use to anyone, then my sensible head tells me to get real!

You have a lot going on and with young children too it’s perfectly understandable that you are feeling a bit low.

Carry on enjoying your new home and making lasting memories with your wife & children and long may they continue. 
    I’m sure you will find plenty of things to keep you busy.

All the very best

Fi x

• Thank you so much Fi,

that is pretty much how I feel right now.  It’s tough not working after being the bread winner for so long. With the kids it’s fine they know and they are ok with it. 

I know what you mean by being thrown on the rubbish heap. A lot of my friends from work have just kind of disappeared. They have offered help etc when we do talk but it never seems to appear. Very few still talk to us on a regular basis. 

I Really appreciate your message

thank you

Gray

• Sounds like you are in a position to try and enjoy every day as best you can.  Once again sorry you are here but take care and don’t be afraid to ask for help :) 

• Hi Gray, something like this happened to me. I was given a two year prognosis and immunotherapy. The time just flew in and on reaching the two years, coming off my infusions I just totally freaked out just like I did when I got the initial diagnosis two years earlier. It took about six weeks for my mind to become strong again, helped by counselling and Fluoxetine (Prozac). This gave me peace to live not knowing when I’ll die. I hope you reach this state too at some point too. 

• This is very good advice.

• Hello Gray,

Been away so just seen your post. I've been clear for a while now and sometimes of late I've found that the old fear just sneaks up on me again - like it was at first. I spoke with my oncologist last time the CT results were through. I said that the longer I was stable, the greater my fear was each time that my luck would run out and the bugger would be back. She said that for the medical team, the longer I was clear, the better it was from their perspective.Sometimes we're a cup half full. Somtimes, we're a cup half empty.  I think that it does get harder as time goes on, but as others have said, we can't expect to be smiling and positive every day. Sometimes it will be dark and we'll be down.

But there is a little voice in me that interrupts when I start to have bleak moments and the voice says 'don't waste the day, it can be a good day'. Or 'Make a good memory, don't make a bad one'. So then I go up a gear and the day gets better.

If you think a bit of art therapy would help you, message me.  Rainie x