PIP Dilemma

• 12 replies
  • 45 subscribers

When I originally applied for pip I was as weak as a kitten. Had no appetite, could hardly move my upper body without pain.  Oh and I'm stage 4 incurable. I was encouraged to apply for PIP.  This was nearly 3 months ago and I still haven't heard back.

Fast forward three months and the combo of chemo, immuno and radiotherapy has meant I now have some increased range of motion in my upper body and through sheer hard work and bloody mindedness i have built my strength back up.  Whether it lasts remains to be seen.

I still get very weak and nauseous the first week after treatment. Have to have a sit down to cook etc. I'm sure lots of us can relate to that! But then things pick up until the next treatment. 

Here's ny dilemma 

Whenever my treatment decides to have a go at my kidneys,  liver or thyroid,, thank you prembolizumab!  The docs end uo sricking me on high dose steroids for 3 weeks.

I then have all this false (and short lived) energy.  When I'm on the roids I feel as if I could run the London marathon. Twice.

So what happens if I have to have a face to face interview when I'm in one of my 'energetic' phases?  I'm not going to pass am I?

I feel as if this PIP business is set up to punish you for having 'well' phases.

Any thoughts?

• I had a telephone interview for mine, but I would suggest you just be honest with the person doing the interview and say you have good days and bad days I think everybody does then give an example of a bad day. I would say you are entitled to it

3 months is too long really

I was offered advice through Macmillan as to how to complete the form, but because of my work background I did not really need this so I didn’t use it but might be worth asking 

• Go on the 'Benefits & Work' website. Brilliant people. Recommend.  Rainie x