PRIVATE MESSAGES

• 7 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Gang, I wonder if this site has taken a dislike to me! I have lots of problems with the PM page. Last night I was replying to a PM and the page was jumping about, however I managed to get my message finished as it wasn't too long (honestly)! Then when I pressed Send it appeared THREE times! I then apologised to the receiver saying I had not pressed three times, it did it all by itself.

You can imagine my surprise when that also posted three times! What's going on? Is it just me it doesn't like?

• Hi anndanv,

I hope you don’t mind me replying to this post as I noticed you’d said you've experienced some further problems with private messages to the ones you have previously reported .I'm sorry to hear your message has been sent several times, I hope the following will help explain why this may have happened. 

We are aware that the ‘reply’ button in discussion threads and the ‘send’ button in private messages can be sensitive at times.

This means that if these buttons are pressed more than once, it will sometimes duplicate the message and send it the number of times you clicked the button. I’m not sure if you did press the send button more than once as sometimes when a message looks like it hasn’t sent yet, it is natural to go to click the button again.

I’m also aware that you’ve previously reported other technical issues when using private messages on a mobile device and it has been raised with our technical teams. We will also make sure they know your message was duplicated.

We hope to have more information about the technical issues you're experiencing with private messages soon, but if there's anything we can do to help in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to email community@macmillan.org.uk

We are here to help so if you experience any further issues, please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Best wishes,

Megan
    Macmillan's Online Community team

• Hi Megan, Thank you for your reply. Firstly I do not ever use a mobile phone to access the site. I use an Apple iPad. 
    Secondly, I do realise how sensitive some things are but I certainly did not hold the send button, I just touched it in no more and it printed not duplicate but triplicate. Thirdly, the next time I was extremely careful and it still did it 3 times.

As you will know, I have been using the site for quite a few years now and apart from when the site upgraded, and I used an older iPad and couldn't get signed on and thought that was why I was having problems. However the recent problems have all been on my newer iPad. Several times now the red box saying I do not have permission to reply (as the screenshot I sent to you) and yet when I try any other site, I have no problems whatsoever.

I just don't understand it. I do hope you can help. Thanks.

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette, you want to participate a lot but you can't get replies to work. I feel your hurt so much.

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Thanks Tvman, I just don't like the idea of letting people down, especially if they have sent me a message or PM. I'd hate them to think I was ignoring them as I would never do that, as you are well aware I expect! Night night!

Love Annette x

• Hi Annette if you think a private message has not been sent, you can tell the recipient that you have sent the message without revealing the contents, on the main thread, at least they're will know you're not ignoring them.

All the best Ulls 

• Hi Ulls, What a great idea, why didn't I think of that!!! Probably because this will be the third night with no sleep! Earlier it even crossed my mind to go to A&E but when I thought about it, why sit on uncomfortable chairs for hours when I know they can do nothing for me. So I'm having a cup of tea instead.

Thanks for your brilliant idea

Love Annette x

• Any time my group sister