This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Lovely morning 2076840

• 3798 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Here by special request, the latest in the Lovely Morning series.

• Morning Moi,

I'm vegan and also have inherited Type 2 diabetes from my Dad's side of the family. I have therefore a real interest in this as my Dad's diabetes killed him.  My diet keeps the diabetes under control. My dad had a miserable time on the conventional low-carb diet. He was always hungry. I don't follow this, but eat a vegan, low-fat, high fibre diet. I'm never hungry and the diabetes is totally stable.

Type 1 is vastly different, but the same diet can be very helpful for them too. Your son-in-law [if he hasn't already found it] might be interested in the information on the following website. The doctor who is on the video is a vegan and a diabetes doctor: Neil Barnard. My husband and I know him and have good results from following his programme.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/health-topics/vegan-diet-and-diabetes/

You can be vegan and eat dreadfully now, since the food industry got its hands on the 'vegan diet'. A lot of what is now on offer might be convenient but like all factory-produced stuff, it's still chock-full of fat, sugar and additives. So it's not the vegan diet per-se that is at fault. It just takes some research to get it right.

All good wishes,

Rainie x

• My parents thought I'd grow out of it too. That was in 1966. Needless to say they were disappointed.  

• Hi Rainie thanks for the info I'll pass it on to him, I'll have a read myself. I'm type 2 (3 cos it's coursed by my illness or treat) on insulin and metformin. I cook from scratch, lots of lentils beans , peas, squash chicken and fish fruit and vegetables. Small amount of carbs with each meal. Never hungry. Its good to talk about what we eat. I luv cooking and experimenting with combinations, usually good but some disasters along the way lol xx

Moi

• Hi Rainie, my wife is type 1 I'm type 2, she has had lots of problems because of diabetes, so she is really strict with meals, most of what we eat is home made, no supermarket or take aways for us, all labels are read even for ingredients, we are both we'll within our bloods.

• Hi Ulls, Yes, I'm a big label-reader too - though nowadays you need a magnifying glass to read any of it if you shop in-store. Thankfully I do mine online and it's easier to read. Do you make your own bread? Best thing we've done in recent years was to buy a Sage breadmaker. I don't know what I'd do without my rye bread now. Yum!

Rainie x

• Yes I can bake, mam taught all of us if you can cook and bake you will never go hungry, as to your question, I make fresh bread every morning, before my wife takes over, she loves my hot cross buns, mam's secret recipey.

• Lovely. The smell of bread baking and fresh coffee. Can't beat it. Oh - and roasting tomatoes - of which I've a huge pan in the oven slow-roasting with basil and a bit of the good old olive oil.[all veggies from the garden]. Italian tonight I think.  Rainie x

• Football in 15 minutes, home made fish fingers and tom sauce, fresh stottie, then of to local to socialize 

• Ulls: What is stottie?