inner voice

• 9 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Heard interesting programme the other day ( the joys of having radio 4 on all day)

Most of us have an inner voice which is our thoughts, and which we take for granted - well I do anyway. But apparently there are some people who dont have one - imagine that, silence instead of a constant running narrative. Reminds me of a public service advert from years ago about driving - man in little car with thought bubble coming out, and jsut blue sky and the occasional gull passing over.  I cant imagine it - even master meditators must struggle to get to that level of inner peace. Or would it be hell to have no inner dialogue?

I know it is hell to have the voices of psychosis and delusion, which are in fact just inner dialogue expereinced as outward and real, but no inner voice no comforting discussion with the self, no swearing internally  when to do so externally would be inappropriate etc.

What is your relationship like with your inner voice, or re you one of those without one?

• Talk to my inner voice all day, every day. Over worrying and over thinking. Always been like it, never realised you could get the opposite. Heaven or hell I wonder?

• Too deep and heavy for me OBS but if I give myself a talking to I'll respond. Don't mean to be facetious btw. Another btw, do you know that facetious is the shortest word with the vowels in alphabetical order in the English language? 

Another btw, every word I say, I spell it and can mentally see them. Does anyone else do that?

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • I can understand the spelling thing. I think the concept of synasthesia is fascinating too - people who have it connect a word with a taste or a smell etc- so, e.g.,  wednesday smells like roses, or monday is green etc.  The mind is a wonderful thing.

• I talk to mine all the time too. I can’t imagine not having those thoughts. They are not always constructive but they are a constant presence.

Nigel

• I think we must all have inner thoughts all day long except when we are really concentrating on doing something or watching something.

i know I think about myself a lot I find distraction useful I also like my daily walk x

Ruth 

• Poor souls. No inner voice. Oh dear.  I think that sometimes nowadays, my inner voice becomes an outer one: I often talk to myself when I'm working quite a bit. It's quite normal for me.

Also, some years ago I watched an Horizon programme about this sort of thing and those who 'hear voices'. This was a different thing to mental health conditions that are the result of imbalances, but it had been discovered that a certain type of 'hearing voice' was found to be something often experienced by creatives. They had found that there was a neural connection in the brains of many artists, musicians, dancers etc. which gave them an extremely vocal and strong 'inner voice' because the auditory part of the brain was connected to another bit that allowed you to hear your own thoughts.  I was glad to see this programme as from an early age that's been me.  Rainie x

• i do to and another thing i do...i try to divide it by three...weird i am lol

• That's because you live in an upside down world Pet, you can't be blamed for that. It is weird though!

• I don’t know why my inner voice swears a lot! Especially when I am driving. It’s like a hidden road rage.

Joy

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge