Any discounts or concessions?

• 13 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi Everyone 

I just wondered if there were any discounts or concessions for people who have been diagnosed with a terminal condition?   Whilst I am not eligible for any financial support due to my husbands income; I worked when I could over the last 4 years in between cancer treatments so we are managing, but we are not exactly flush!   It would be nice to go the the theatre, cinema and other attractions for some much needed distraction since my terminal diagnosis of approx 2 yrs came as a real shock in March of this year   

To me, it seems like a great idea especially if there are empty seats being wasted or empty tables in restaurants.   I also want to visit friends and family more now with time being so precious but it appears there are no rail or air discounts for anyone with a terminal condition.  This to me seems so wrong as a simple visit to my sons in Newcastle to see my granddaughter is something that would mean the world to me if I could visit more regularly to see her growing up while I am still well enough to travel.  

I doubt I will reach an age to claim my state pension so won’t become a burden to society in my old age but it would good to be able to do and see things now whilst I still look and feel like me.

Does anyone know of anything like this? 

• Dont think by applying for something,  you are denying someone else. Also if they have said 2 years, and prognosis is only a guess, then keep it in mind as those months pass  I recently applied for Attendance Allowance ( the equivalent of PIP for us older ones) as I recognise  that this year i am less strong, more tired and definitely further along the path. I decided it ws time to think about it so I could maybe get some paid help with cleaning and gardening. I dont have a prognosis and dont want one - I know my body and know when things change. I am over pension age so I applied under the AA special rules which says I may die in the next 6 months.Now I dont think I will, but I went to the doc to get form DS1500 completed ( which is for them to certify that you MAY die in that period).I said to him - well no one can predict that I wont, and he happily completed it, meaning the rest of the form was easy. I got it in 2 weeks ( the only time the DWP seems to be compassionate and speedy is when they think we will be gone soon! ) Anyway just be aware PIP is there when you need it if you get the forms filled in right. In the case of PIP the special rules apply once you have less than12 months to live , And if you outlive prognosis, I believe the award is only reviewed every 3 years - think someone on here said that .

Good luck whatever.

• Good luck to you too.   I will certainly make some enquiries.  

• Ooooh thanks for the disabled railcard tip   It seems I don't qualify with the cancer but I can with my hearing aids.  I'm going to try it out when I next need to travel long distance.