Any discounts or concessions?

• 13 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi Everyone 

I just wondered if there were any discounts or concessions for people who have been diagnosed with a terminal condition?   Whilst I am not eligible for any financial support due to my husbands income; I worked when I could over the last 4 years in between cancer treatments so we are managing, but we are not exactly flush!   It would be nice to go the the theatre, cinema and other attractions for some much needed distraction since my terminal diagnosis of approx 2 yrs came as a real shock in March of this year   

To me, it seems like a great idea especially if there are empty seats being wasted or empty tables in restaurants.   I also want to visit friends and family more now with time being so precious but it appears there are no rail or air discounts for anyone with a terminal condition.  This to me seems so wrong as a simple visit to my sons in Newcastle to see my granddaughter is something that would mean the world to me if I could visit more regularly to see her growing up while I am still well enough to travel.  

I doubt I will reach an age to claim my state pension so won’t become a burden to society in my old age but it would good to be able to do and see things now whilst I still look and feel like me.

Does anyone know of anything like this? 

• I read the other day, you can get free perscriptions if you have incurable illness, but haven't heard of any other concessions  xx

• Doesn’t seem right really does it? 

• You can get a disabled person's rail pass. It gives you and the person travelling with you a third off. Not going to change the world but might be handy.

• Thank you.  I didn’t realise that.  

• If you Google CEA card it gives information of a scheme giving access to you plus a helped for the cost of one person.

If you have a blue badge this can also give access to free bus passes in some areas and other services.

You don't say if you receive any disability benefits, it is worth checking with Macmillan to see if you might be eligible, not all these benefits are means tested, I get PIP which is worth over £500 a month.  Getting some of these benefits can also access other services.

I hope this is helpful,

Gragon xx

• Many thanks I will take a look. 

• Hi ,

There are loads of concessions out there and I make use of them frequently. As a disabled person, and you or rather your husband should be classed as such because of his serious cancer. Over here in Northern Ireland all cancer sufferers are classed as such. I'm also a wheelchair user so I fall into that category also.

When my wife and I go to attractions etc, as my carer, she will have free access and I pay, so effectively we get 2 for 1. It should be the same in GB. I have booked for the World Snooker Championship SmileyFinal next year and my son in law is coming with me. Again, we get him free! Smiley

My wife and I spent a few days in London a couple of years ago and we went to 2 different theatres, and each time, just one entrance cost. Not only that but a member of staff was assigned to us, took us to our seats, took an order for drinks for the interval and brought our drinks and snacks to our seats as soon as the interval began. In general, I was treated like royalty, nothing was too much trouble. On our return to Northern Ireland I emailed both theatres and thanked each so much for our wonderful visit.

I'm not sure how you would go about getting classed as disabled but I see Ian (Gragon) has one or two ideas.

Now to make most of you jealous, ALL prescriptions are free in NI. 

Take care and stay safe HAC274

Tvman 

Love life and family.
  • Thank you for you help 

• Defiinitely apply for PIP - get McMillan to help you. Is not means tested and is about how your illness affects you. There are special rules if you hae been told you may have less than 12 months . The forms can be a nightmare so seek support from either McMillan or CAB etc.

• Thank you so much.  The thing is, they’ve given me 2 years but at the moment I don’t feel or look unwell.  I don’t think I would qualify for PIP just yet.  That said I have been warned to expect palliative chemo to start soon.  I just want to make good use of the time I have left.   I don’t want to take a disabled parking ticket from someone else who needs it or need to register as disabled or needing help; I just think that we should be entitled to more than we get!