Countdown to my op

• 30 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Well, today on the wishes of the consultant anaesthetist I stopped taking Clopidogril and substituted aspirin. Clopidogril was given to me for a month after my heart attack almost 11 years ago. Then after my mini stroke about 4 years ago I was started on it again. It's now being withdrawn and substituted with aspirin so I don't bleed all over the place in 7 days when I get my elbow operation that I have waited for over 4 years. Yes, 4 years! The health system here in Northern Ireland is abysmally slow. I have an ulnar nerve trapped in each elbow that is pinched and needs rerouting. It's called Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, similar to carpal tunnel syndrome but in the elbow. Not sure why they're trapped, maybe because I have rested my elbows on the console and door handle of my vans for 35 years during which time I have driven over 1 million miles and I've been subjected to millions of vibrations.

The pain in both elbows wakens me and I haven't had a full night's sleep for over 6 years. Then there's my back pain....

Come 7th of July, my left elbow may be removed from pain and then the consultant and I will have a chat about my right elbow. 

I think I have problems and then  pops up with a post!

Take care everyone and stay safe

Tvman xx

• Hi tvman glad the op went well. Sorry to hear your back in a&e, sound nasty the bleed. I hope  the antibiotics do the trick and your home soon xx

• , oh no not good to bleed for you. I hope it's a fast fix and you can go home. Glad all went well other wise. 

• Hi 

I'm pleased to hear the op went well and hope they can sort out the comcations soon.

All the best, gragon

• Hi tvman, it's good to read your op went well, it's a worry that your bleeding, I'm sure you will overcome it.

All the best Ulls 

• Hi Tvman,

I hope that they have sorted the bleeding.

Best wishes 

Sarah 

• Hi everyone, thanks for all your words of encouragement and well-wishing. I saw the surgeon yesterday at the Downe hospital where he had a clinic. I was still giving my details at reception and one of the nurses overheard and brought me into a treatment room, it seemed they were expecting me even though I had no appointment.

My arm was significantly swollen The dressing was removed which revealed a lot of blood blisters. The surgeon appeared a minute or so later while the other staff were examining my arm. He explained what he had done during the surgery and why there were so many blood blisters. The ulnar nerve had been very tight and there was a lot of arthritis, caused by a dangerous blood condition I have called haemochromatosis. He had to take away some bone to release the nerve so at least that will mean that I won't hopefully have pain from that elbow anymore. 

Btw, haemochromatosis (loosely called iron overload or the Celtic Curse) is a hereditary condition caused by a mutated gene that inhibits my body from breaking down iron from from one's diet, therefore as well as causing joints in the body to become arthritic, iron deposits accumulate in major organs. Depending on which organ is mostly affected, sufferers can develop heart failure, kidney failure, hepatitis, renal cell carcinoma, cirrhosis and so on. Treatment is blood removal (venesection) but as I have a blood cancer and my haemoglobin is low, that is not an option. I've now a lifetime of testing, watch and wait. A lot going on.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Hi tvman, that's a lot to go through, and I'm pleased to hear the op was successful.

All the best Ulls 

• Thank you for the update tvman.

Pleased you got the surgeon and the explanation hope the pain will be better for you xx

Ruth 

• Thanks for the update Tvman, haemochromotosis is in my family too, though thankfully I only have the one gene, so luckily am unlikely to have an issue with it myself. 

Sarah 

• Hi Tvman,  Great news that you've finally had your op. I hope the bleeding is now over and done with and the healing bit goes well. x