SUMMER SOLSTICE

• 6 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi Gang, I hope you all enjoyed the longest day of light this year. I hate it when the clocks move and the light fades by early evening!

However the passed two nights it has been fantastic! Here in Scotland the light in the sky starts about 03.30, the birds start their dawn chorus and there is still light in the sky at 23.00, an amazing 19 hours plus of light! Isn't it a shame it can't be like that every day! As long as you have blackout curtains in your bedroom, you can get some sleep. But then even if you get up at 5am it is light enough to go for a walk!

I think it makes us feel better just because there is light in the sky! Does anyone agree or would you rather it was darker for longer, like wintertime!!

Well, I suppose I'd better try to get some sleep now as I have an appointment (face to face) with my GP in the morning!

• Hi Annette , we are just 1°of latitude behind you and I agree that the light nights are great at this time of year. Mrs Tvman and I were commenting about that just last night as we settled down in bed at 11pm with a fantastic sunset in the sky. I was outside in my veg plot until 20 past 9 last night and it was perfectly easy to see. I was awake earlier (pain as usual) at 3am and the sky was beginning to lighten outside as I made my way to the toilet without switching the light on. 

We don't close our curtains at night, (no need to, we're quite remote and there's nothing but fields with sheep and bullocks behind us) and it's perfectly clear outside now at 5am with long shadows from the early morning sunshine. How lovely it is at this time of year, much better with warm milky sunshine from the east rather than the dark, dark winter mornings. Thankfully they're a long long way ahead but now we've turned a corner and unfortunately the daylight hours are now diminishing! Until then, let's enjoy this time of year as we make hay while the sun shines Slight smile

Hope your appointment with the doctor goes well Annette and you come away reassured. I also had a face to face appointment with my GP last Friday and because of an increase in pain in my legs she was discussing about having my car adapted. Hopefully that's a long way off yet but I suppose it's a possible future event that I don't want to clear just get

Take care and stay safe Annette 

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Yes it must be lovely the longer days when you are further north.

i definitely prefer the summer and the long days x

Ruth 

• They do seem to have fun at Stonehenge for the solstice 

Ruth 

• I love the summer solstice. My brother in law was born on the summer solstice, on the day of his funeral we realised it was winter solstice, which was very apt for him, we didn’t arrange it that way, it just happened. He was a very earthy person, always bringing home injured animals to heal and return to the wild. He had a natural burial buried in the woods which he loved so much.

My favourite season is autumn, when it is getting cooler, and the leaves are on the ground. I don’t fair well in the heat, but it is nice to sit outside in the lighter evenings in the cool.

Good luck with the GP appointment Annette x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I'm a summer person. As you might imagine light is very important to me and it's one of the reasons we moved to Norfolk. Big skies and big light. When I lived further North I had light boxes on during the darker months as it made me so depressed. Although Sheffield was a nice city to live in, I personally couldn't wait to get to the coast and away from the gloom.  The light is very energising and uplifting.  Rainie x

• Hi, Thank you very much for all your comments. Tvman my husband and I were sitting on the patio at 4am the other morning having a cup of tea. The temperature was about 15 degrees which was just right for us. We are not used to the heat because we don't get many days over about 20 degs here, even in summer. My husband is a photographer, as you know, and he was taking photos of the moon as it was going down and as the sun was coming up, there was light in the sky!

Chelle, I love all the autumn colours. I especially like it when the leaves fall along the side of the pavement, and it hasn't rained, then I walk through them listening to them crunch under my feet!

Ruth, when I was able to do Tai Chi Chuan, properly, a crowd of us used to go away over the summer solstice and have a barbecue under the light sky at 10pm and do some Tai Chi afterwards, magic!

Rainie, the light boxes are great, especially if you get a lot of sun in your area. I love to light candles at night in the garden!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!