A good and then a bad sort of week

• 19 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I've been a bit quiet this week or so. Finishing off a series of new paintings for a September exhibition. Just framing them up now, so was feeling satisfied and  quite pleased it had all worked out OK. So far so good. Then it all went pear-shaped.

The week before I had received the news that my cousin had died. She was much older than me and had been in a care home, so the news wasn't unexpected. Before my diagnosis I and another coz. had our names down as LPAs for her in case we were needed. I relinquished that when I thought I was headed for that last ride into the sunset. Then came Covid and she caught it and landed in hospital - where she recovered and was sent to a care home to recuperate. That turned into a permanent stay until her recent death. I was unable to visit her and we only managed a few calls before she became too infirm following a series of small strokes in the final months.

I had been informed by social workers, as her next of kin, that the NHS would fund her care home until a financial assessment had been done. Despite numerous messages that this assessment would be done, by the time she died, to my knowledge no assessment had ever been carried out in the two years + she was in there. So it came as something of a shock to receive a letter from Suffolk County Council informing me that I was going to receive a bill for my cousin's care for £21, 425.69 !!!

If any of you have any experience of this sort of thing then I'd be grateful to hear from you. From Googling, it would appear that the Council are just trying it on in order to get money into their coffers. I have read that next-of-kin do not have any liability for the care of a relative. We did not agree to anything or sign anything in this regard. Trouble is, you get something like this out of the blue and before you know it, it's playing on your mind and you're lying there in the early hours wondering if a pile of stress is about to land on your head.

Apologies for posting a bit of a downer. I'll be back to art and beaches soon hopefully.

Hugs to all,

Rainie

xxx

• Oh wow!  You need this like a hole in the heid (head).   I'm with you on this.  You can't just be liable for costs without signing something and and agreement in place and written advice on the rate.  Surely any liabilities would fall to the estate, and only then if there was a similar signed agreement in place.  

How awful of the council to use such bizarre tactics - sounds like scaremongering and an inappropriate approach, almost like trying to take advantage of an unfortunate and delicate situation.  You think they might try it once, get the message and change their practice.  I hate councils - they don't appear to play by the same rules as everyone else with an ethos of  "treat everyone else how you would wish to be treated yourself".  

Expect a discounted bill for £10k on compassionate grounds in a couple of months then, when you don't cough-up.  :-o

• I have tried to post twice Rainie without success. Third time lucky. Mmum is bang on. If they can't produce your signature agreeing to this bill then I would consider this to be computer generated rubbish. 

• Rainie I have no knowledge on this, so not much help I’m afraid, just wanted to say how awful this is! And that I am thinking of you. Losing a relative is hard enough whether it was expected or not. This is the last thing you need. I would be arguing that they haven’t asked or notified you of any payments whilst your cousin was in their care, and you were waiting to hear about the assessment. Get yourself on the phone tomorrow to CAB, you definitely need some professional advice xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • And another thing!  I had to google LPA (Lasting Power of Attorney).  Even if you were a current PoA, it still doesn't make you responsible for outstanding bills.  

• Oh Raine, I am so sorry you have had this upsetting letter after the death of your cousin. If I had received it, I would have ignored it as they are out of order sending such a letter in the first place. However, I would keep it and if you receive any more, take them to your local MP and ask her/him to deal with this and put an end to it as you have enough to think about without receiving upsetting illegal letters like this.

Please concentrate on your painting and don't give this another thought!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thanks everybody for your support. I will try not to let this affect me. On reflection I'm more angry now then anything - that they have the brass neck to send such a letter. I'll let you know what transpires. Rainie x

• They are most likely entitled to money from here estate. You are liable for nothing. My wife had this when her sister died and Bedfordshire council told her she was liable it just the council trying to scare you. They have no legal agreement with you so you owe them nothing. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hello Richard. So nice to hear from you and thank you for this information. My cousins' estate will only cover about half of what they appear to say is 'owed'. It would appear that some councils are indeed trying it on. Thanks.

On another note, how are you getting to grips with things? Are you now fully equipped with the hardware for mobility etc. I do hope so. Been thinking about you and all this new stuff you've got to deal with. Big hugs. Rainie x

• Hi , phone the CAB. from what I can remember,  any fee's should be taken from your dear cousin's estate. You should NOT be responsible. Ignore it and get on with your lovely paintings xx

• Hi Rainieday,

I would definitely call the CAB.  Not only should you not be liable for her care costs but if you had assurances that the NHS would cover the costs until an assessment should be carried out then it is likely that her estate should not be liable either.

The CAB should be able to clarify this but if not ring Macmillan and ask to speak to a financial advisor as they should also know what the rules are.

Wishing you all the best in your battle with bureaucracy,

Gragon xx