Heard 'The Bell' for the first time today. Mixed feelings

• 13 replies
  • 50 subscribers

I was waiting in radiotherapy.

I did stand up. I did clap. And I was genuinely pleased for the person ringing it.

However, there was a part of me that was thinking " how insensitive to have a bell in an area where possibly half the patients, myself included, will never get to ring that bell.

To me, it's akin to putting a person who's just suffered a stillbirth or a miscarriage on a ward full of beaming mothers with their newborns.You just wouldn't do it! Would you?

I'm not against the end of treatment being celebrated in some way but just wish there was a more tactful way of doing it. 

(Obviously none of this applies to children going through this dreadful illness.  They should ring bells every single  day if they want)

• My hospital doesn’t have the bell ringing anymore for this reason. I want to celebrate for others, but it can feel like a kick in the teeth for others xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for understanding.

I felt awful even thinking it. 

I'm really pleased for people to be finished with all this horrible treatment and to be in the clear.. I was just surprised with my mixed  feelings. 

Under normal circumstances I like to think I'm generous of spirit and love to see others do well. But it caught me on the hop.

• Your only human and I'd probably have felt the same x

• You make an interesting observation. But is it any different to the ' success ' stories we read!. We're on.a individual journey . 

• Hi , this same issue has been discussed a couple of times over the years. I think it's insensitive too, I'd agree not to ring it at all.

Your comparison actually happened to my mother in law many years ago. I say many because she's 98 now. Her first child was stillborn and she was kept for an extra week in the ward with babies all around her. She talks about it occasionally, there's still a raw nerve when the subject comes up. I have to say that none of us approach the topic. I was talking to her yesterday, she won't remember today that I was there but we had a great conversation about how the farm was run during and after the second world war. 

Take care and stay safe Harebellle

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Of course we love to celebrate the good news stories. This week we have had lots of good news posts, and they are very encouraging to see. But I know as someone who is in the stable Mable group, how guilty I felt posting I was still stable, knowing that not everyone gets this news. 

I think with the bell ringing, it is because of where it is that the problem occurs. People who are just starting their treatment sat waiting, when you are at your most vulnerable, and emotions all over the place. I think as well, consideration is needed for other people who are around that vicinity, nurses, visitors who have lost loved ones to cancer.  

It is something that has been discussed many times here, and also a lot in the media about it too. it’s an interesting discussion. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi all, first time I heared the bell, I asked the nurse had the person gone in remission , she said no finished treatment,  I did think I won't  be doing that. It doesn't  bother me now, as when I had my last treatment in hospital, before starting treatment at home I was asked if I  wanted to and I said NO thank you. I'm also a stable mable and would be happy to stay that way. Take care X

• I've not encountered this yet, but if and when I do, my gut feeling would be NOT to ring the bell.  Rainie x

• It happens quite a lot on my unit.  I think it's very insensitive and wish they would do it somewhere else.  I am happy for the people who get to do it, but for the rest of us it is a reminder of something we will not get to do.

• I am not aware that there is such a bell at my hospital, I don't think I would want to ring one. Sometimes sharing good news can feel like boasting, but at least when we post on here people can choose to read or not read, and I have certainly felt that this is a supportive environment where we can share our news and be supported.You have no choice but to hear a bell, no matter what you are feeling. 

Sarah