Desert Island Discs

• 28 replies
  • 51 subscribers

I thought I would ask you all to compile your own list of 10 favourite pieces of music. I'm still doing this - it's harder than you think - but I will post mine when I've done it. Get your thinking caps on. They can be popular or classical or a mix. Go for it folks.  Rainie x

It took a while and it's likely not conclusive, but there you go... In no particular order either!

1 Hotel California -   Eagles

2. Take it to the Limit - Eagles

3.American Pie - Don McClean

4. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley

5. Cowgirl in the Sand - Neil Young

6. Drive - The Cars

7. A case of You - Joni Mitchell

8. Like I've never been Gone -  Robert Plant

10. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

• Yes Rainie you can tell we are the same age 

I missed out Elton John Candle in the Wind 

Ruth 

• Hi ellie, Great list. 'Power of Love' was on my short list - what a voice - and also 'Fields of Gold' by Eva Cassidy. It was hard to leave them out. I know all the others except the Ray Charles & Michael Bolton.  My dad, who was a singer, used to sing 'Smile' to my Mum  - usually when he was doing the washing up, so that one brings back memories of childhood. Rainie x

• Hi Sal, I saw Don McClean at City Hall some 12-15 years ago. After the concert - which was very good - he came out front and signed CDs etc. They had got a doctor for him as he wasn't feeling great, but he still came out to chat to fans. I must say he looked worn out and none too well then. Age hadn't been kind, so I'm surprised he's still touring - amazing. I hope it's a great evening. Rainie x

• Another great list. I'm a big Leonard Cohen fan and have lots of his stuff. Steve Miller Band - just loved that song. He was rather yummy as I recall? A distinctive voice. Rainie x

• and I left out 'Your Song'. Ha ha . It's hard isn't it? xxx

• It is hard to get down to 10. In random order (and no doubt I am missing some):

1. Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

2. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac

3. Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac

4. Cloudbusting - Kate Bush

5. Brilliant Disguise - Bruce Springsteen 

6. Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn

7. The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby

8. Good People - Jack Johnson

9. Skateaway - Dire Straits

10. Cathedral Song - Tanita Tikaram

Also showing my age!

Nigel

• Nigel. That's a really interesting mix. Some I don't know here, I think maybe you are a bit younger than me? I too love Solsbury Hill and a lot of Genesis - though more with Phil Collins I have to say.  Are you a Stevie Nicks fan Nigel ???   Rainie x

• Hi Rainie

I am 60. I love Genesis too, not sure why they don’t feature on my list! Yes, I am a big Stevie Nicks fan. So my list spans late 70s onwards really. Mainly older stuff.

Nigel xx

• Some good ones on everyone's list. Have been too knackered last few days after treatment on Friday to contribute,  hopefully I will feel better and I can give it some thought,

Just  thought - and we might not get ther, but the music in our care homes had better be in line with our wishes!

I listened to good 45 min drama on radio 4 today at 2.15, " Moving the Goal Posts" which was monologue by woman with cancer - was amusing and poigant too, I was dozing on the sofa but listening too.

• Glad you are still getting treatment OBS. Hope things settle down. Xx