Reasons to be cheerful?

• 39 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Actually I dont feel very cheerful, so thought I would use the great Ian Dury's words to start a new thread. Some of you may want to ignore it.

I know most of us on here have a limited span on this earth, and when I look around the world, I sometimes feel that I wont be too sad to leave it. I will be sad at a personal level, but as part of a species which seems to be going collectively mad, well good riddance.

The things which make me despair are the ways we treat all other life forms, from mammals to jungles and forests to the tiniest fungi - we have lost sight of the fact that we are interconnected and by our destructive natures we are hurtling towards our own oblivion, taking most of creation with us. Politicians from Putin to Trump and our own liar in chief seem to be taking us backward and the debate in USA re abortion, well Margaret Attwood had it so right, not to mention Orwell who visualised the future as a human boot stamping on  human face forever and ever .

I look around and I see ignorance, stupidity and complacency getting the upper hand, and social media becoming a mechanism for propaganda, lies and more stupidity. So how do we keep hope and have some sense of a future which is not apocalyptic ?

Sorry, probably should have posted this in the Room as a rant- but come on my fellow incurables - what gives you reasons to be cheerful about the future?

Dont be concerned about me - I am not depressed ( god knows why) just feeling reflective and sad. Maybe its the radioactive injection I had today eh?

• Some heartfelt words which I can understand. George Orwell, 1984 manifests. I was a very young man then and life was fun and it was spontaneous. I genuinely fear for humankind because we live in FEARHeart we focus on trivia and the WORLD appears to be falling apart. Im probably  leaving this world.soon. I dont know-how long for but who.does about anyone. There is hope and it starts in the heart. We nHearted to love and respect all things and take personal responsibility to make it happen. PEACEHeart

• I totally understand where you're coming from ownedbystaffies. We've ruined this planet. All for growth and wealth and ego. 

I fear for the family I'll leave behind.

• Capitalism and the perception that the economy must continue to expand for ever. It makes me mad too.

Reasons to be cheerful.

• I'm still here to hear my husband snoring
    • We've just spent a weekend with our kids, their partners and 7 dogs
    • We've had a swift box installed 
    • Bluebells

Sarah 

• I love the bluebells. What a lovely picture.

i concentrate on the little things that make me happy.

yes the world is a sad, greedy, violent place 

there are nice people and I concentrate on the reasons to be cheerful 

remember Ian Dury ?

Ruth 

• I love how you have brought music into your title. That is the one thing can change my mood, and one song especially.  Bob Marley, don't worry about a thing. I need to play that this morning x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I remember him well. What a voice and what a nice person.

• All going your way Sal, that's what we want to hear. Let us know if you get swifts, they are just turning up down here.

• Best season i think. Even down here in Wickham, the blue bells have been showing for a Month maybe. Great picHeart

• Children give me a reason to be cheerful for the future.  I work in a Nursery, run a youth football club and have 2 of my own.  They are so much more understanding and tolerant of others, care about the planet and I truly believe that this next generation of children can really bring about change xx

• Thanks to all who replied - I know it is a big subject and too depressing for many people to want to engage with at any depth. We are not going to be the ones to make a difference, other than small ones in our own lives, but even that is better than nothing. The ones who can and should make a difference have their heads up theIr a****s. But one day the pitchforks will come for them ( there is a Ted talk by a billionairre in which he predicts this unless the very rich and the politicians get to work to change things for the vast billions who are under threat).

Anyway, as the chinese saying goes " If the world were to end tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree today" - so lets do more ot that.

xx