Portacath

• 12 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi all, sorry I've been quiet for a while, I was getting used to my new treatment.  I had a portacath fitted into my chest on Monday which will make having chemo so much easier than having a canular put in every week. Also apparently there is less risk of infections as there is with a picc line. I can also go swimming and shower with this once it heals. Its a bit sore and it is a uncomfortable procedure but I hope that it is as good as they say it is.  Grinning

• Hi lily, I hope the soreness settles quickly. It certainly sounds as if it will be less restrictive than a picc line once you heal.

Best wishes 

Sarah 

• I had on to in my chest, best thing ever....after a few days lol...but after three years it broke, now i have one in my upper arm, don't like it.

• Hi all, my port is in my upper arm, and it's so much better than the picc line. My vans are so thin, so it's my best pal ! XX

• Thank you for the feedback guys, it sounds very positive.  I hope mine doesn't break as wouldn't want it in my arm as it will spoil my tattoos.  Joy. But yes fingers crossed it will make life much easier.  I hope you are all OK. Xx

Lils x
  • I had one put in chest 3 years ago. It has been a godsend. When I wasnt having iv chemo for 2 of those years, having it flushed once per month in the community was easy and now it is back in use again. Only thing with mine is that it doesnt bleed back - which causes consternation amongst any new staff - but it flushes fine and does the job. I had scan at start when it didnt bleed on very first use, but is in right place. Has only bled back twice in 3 years, once on my birrthday - weird..Good luck with yours -am sure you will find it useful.

• Yes mine did not bleed after a while but was fine, same in my arm now, it did work for around 4 months ( bleeding) but now...but it works for treatment so all good

• Mine didnt bleed at first but it was fine the next day. Trust mine to be temperamental. lol, story of my life Smiley

Lils x
  • Oh Lily,

Hope this works well for you. I'd never heard of this before. When I saw the headline I thought you off on holiday to a little place in Cornwall!!!   Big hugs. Rainie x

• That's exactly what I thought Rainie when I first saw it. Of course I wanted to say it but having been force fed some decorum recently I thought better of it even though I guessed Lily would laugh..

• @Rainieday and   RoflRoflRoflRoflRofl that has really made me chuckle. 

The wounds from this have now healed and it is working well. 

Thank you for the giggle.   JoyJoy

Lils x