Hello all

• 13 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Well despite the bars and cage in my back the flight wasn’t too uncomfortable. The stairs at the airport were slow going as I don’t normally do stairs but all the escalators were turned off. I will now have to suffer this for seven days

I will do my best to enjoy it. Stay safe everyone 

• Hi Richard. 

I have a lot of experience in airports. Firstly, use lifts every time, no stairs. Do you use the airport/airline assistance? If not then you should. You check in at the airline desk (using the disabled/ priority line which gives you a quick service), from there go to the assistance desk to check in with them. You can arrange to meet them at the gate at an agreed time or sit and wait on an assistant to take you through security, using the priority lane. If you choose to go through the security without assistance, use the priority lane. At assistance they will ask you if you can use the aircraft steps, if you can't you will be lifted on by ambulift (amby). 

I should say that at least 48 hours before you travel, ring the airline assistance desk to arrange assistance first. 

I have travelled by air from Northern Ireland many times to GB in a wheelchair and stress levels are low. I've done so for the last 6 years.

Good luck Richard

Take care and stay safe

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • I will when I get to that stage. Thanks for the info. At the moment I am relatively able bodied but a bit slow and a lot stubborn my wife would say. 

as soon as I’m not able I will be taking every help and assistance available. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• That looks awful, get the first flight back.

• I did consider it but my legs are a bit tired so I will rest for a day or two and see how I cope

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Ok Richard, but don't be too stubborn. I hope to be still here when you are thinking of asking for assistance. Just give me a shout and I'll give you the benefit of my experience. 

Take care and stay safe Richard

Tvman Thumbsup

Love life and family.
  • It looks lovely. Have a wonderful time, please bring us back some sunshine on your return x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I’ll try to bring the sunshine back with but I think it may cool down a bit on the journey lol

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi Richard, I do hope you enjoy every minute!  Like you, I used to struggle with airport stairs etc and my husband pointed out that there was a thin line between being stubborn & being stupid! It used to take me a couple of days to get over the flight etc.

Although nowadays I have no choice but to ask for assistance, I think I did wait too long before using it and now realise I wouldn't have been just as tired at the beginning of my holiday if I had asked for help. Don't wait too long, there is no stigma now about asking for assistance!

Have a lovely time and just to let you know how lucky you are to get away, it was -4 degrees here last night, so enjoy the heat!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Well said Annette

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Richard, put the sunshine in a cool box, close the lid and open it when you reach the tarmac. I thank you in advance Wink 

Tvman

Love life and family.