Utility bills

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi 

Quick question, I think. 
I have changed my utility bills to come out of my husbands and mine, joint bank account, but the bills still have my name on them. Do I need to change them all into joint names? Or could he still access them once I’m not here?

Thank you 

jane , forever the worrier !  X 

• Hi

My husband and i had a joint bank account, best thing we had ever done, every thing was in his name and came out the joint account.

I lost him and all i did was phone the utility companies, as it is still the same  bank account, though one name is missing. and they then put my name on any bills.The bank account stayed the same as name was taken of,  That meant did not have to change anything, all DD still comes out that account.

Ellie x

Ellie 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ellie 73

Hi Ellie 

Thank you for reply. All of our bills come out of joint bank account anyway, but the bills are in my name. Southern water are being the worst , most awkward. I’ve recently had a nightmare with them anyway, and now they will only add his name if he speaks to them. Everyone else has just done, over the phone, whilst talking to me, the account holder. 
    Maybe I’m over thinking it, and they’ll change names to his, once I’m gone. 
    xx

• Yes they will, my water company did, it is only a name,  they still get paid from the same account. they have always got paid from.

Ellie x

• Once you are gone they will be desperate to get a name to send the bills to so will happily switch to his name, it’s so annoying that companies make it hard to put stuff in joint names which at the end of the day actually benefits them

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Remoh

That’s true, I’m trying to make it easier for them, but they are just so awkward, like doing me a favour. 
    Thank you 

• Yes Jane, it would be better to get your name removed or, if you're absolutely certain that you are going to go first, change the name of the account to your husband only but remember that you can't be 100% certain of that. 

In my case, when I arranged for an electricity supply to our new bungalow, my wife went to the electricity company office, she signed for the account in her name only, even though the bank account was and is, in both names! I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to pay for a supply, but they charged me £1500 because we.had to have a post moved, a new one in the field beside us and wiring. That was in 1985-37 years ago!

Take care and stay safe Jane

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Jane I think you are overthinking and over worrying! These utility companies deal with this every day. The bills are already in a joint bank account, so really nothing to worry about. They will get their money, like Ellie said they will make sure they are paid. 

I think what Remoh said in another post is very good advice,  get the important things sorted ie house and will, and then forget about it! 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

Thank you Chelle 

Im getting myself in a right old rut tbh!!!

xx