Losing the plot

• 30 replies
  • 53 subscribers

I have been off air for a few days, still feeling rotten after last chemo and associated digestive problems and tiredness. Reading back through threads I have missed has taken a while. The forum does need to be a safe place for people to discuss all sorts of difficult things, a place of compassion and empathy, but also a place for gallows humour and silliness at times too. The reason I come on here is to hear from other people, their experiences, their feelings and ideas , to offer input when asked for, to vent , to be able to speak without worrying too much about difficult things, death, side effects , worries and to have a laugh too. I am not operating at 100% today i know - brain fog is slowly lifting now. So when I feel sharper, I hope to be back to form and interact. To those of you who have had good news - great, to those worrying about bad news and suffering scanxiety - you have already had some wise and kind words. Me, I am off to bed after a crap week ( side effects, car finally given up the ghost in a most inconvenient place and time). Hope to wake up tomorrow and find it was all a bad dream, my car isn't for scrapping and those side effects have finally disappeared. 

xx

• Hi OBS, i'm so glad you are feeling better. I can send you some sunshine...as it is way to hot here atm 37 today....i never wished for summer to be over, but i do now lol.

Big hug Pet

• Hi OBS I'm so relieved you are feeling a bit better and have managed some food. I hope you enjoyed your light lunch at your friends house. It is always more relaxed than being at a restaurant. Keep it up but don't overdo things.

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Tomorrow is another day things will get better xx

Ruth 

• Hi OBS, I'm glad the gloom and fog of your original post has cleared cleared, I hooe tgar the week continues to improve for you xxx

Best wishes 

Sarah 

• The week has got better, I got my replacement car so am mobile again. Just have to steel myself to let dogs into such a pristine valetted car after the shed I used to drive them in.

Appetite has recovered ( we'll see how it is after todays chemo).

I saw my GP for first time in 2 years on Weds - he rang me while I was sitting waiting for recovery truck on the Staff Moorlands Roaches, last thurs- I was a bit taken aback and was feeling thoroughly pissed off, so I was apparently full of "vim and vigour" in my telephone conversation, as he recounted to me later.  Anyway, met him face to face weds, and we had a laugh. We completed a Respect form together so my wishes are known further down the line. I think he must dread such meetings, but I was stoic, humorous and let him off lightly. He asked if I would like to do them with other patients as I used a metaphor which clearly impressed him, but I think he was joking!

Steroid boost due tomorrow, so hopefully going for a walk with old colleague ( through park and cemetery - no getting away from the subject!)

xx

• Hi OBS, good to hear you are feeling better and eating. I don't think people generally realise just how much pleasure we get from eating. I know I enjoyed food but when I had oesophageal cancer and couldn't swallow most foods then after surgery for a while I only had soft foods. The pleasure I had when finally able to eat hot toast with butter was divine. Now with one of the tumours between the oesophagus and windpipe my eating is not as much fun. Anyway I digress, I was wondering what car you have now? I'm getting my pickup truck into showroom condition,  someone else is removing minor dents and scratches for me. He's a panel beater and paint sprayer, a friend of a friend. Hopefully I will get a good price for it when I sell it in February. I hope your dog's enjoy the new car. I've never bought a brand new car, just a bit expensive for me. I hope you get pleasure from the new car, I hope norbs is back soon,I don't know what happened. Take care and kind regards Frank.

• Lovely to have a nice car. We were lucky to afford a new car after my mother did.

Good to be able to have a laugh with your jGP.

thank you for explaining what a respect form is. My palliative care consultant that I chat to about pain relief has said we can fill one out next time we talk. I felt brave enough to discuss my wishes with her and said I didn’t want to die at home or in the hospice but at the oncology centre where they have 2 wards and I know the doctors. I even worked in that ward when I first was training to be  nurse. I want to make things easier for my family if it is possible 

Did you watch after life with Ricky Gervais ?

xxx

Ruth 

• Hello Zapperman, I like old cars, is your pickup up  truck UK or a Yank?

• You sound an incredibly brave and considerate person Ruth.