Daylight lamp

• 12 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I am not a fan of this time of year - so miserable to get up in the morning to darkness, and now at 4pm, is dark and wet and cold outside. The dogs and I went for a brief blow around the streets earlier, and of course it helps to get out even when the weather is grim. I decided to treat myself to a daylight lamp which i can put on when I am having my breakfast - is very bright and somewhat harsh but it does definitely remind me of the sun. So far only had it on a few days, but will see if it lightens the dark mornings in terms of mood. I bought my daugher an alarm clock/ lamp a few years ago which starts to light up and gets brighter minute by minute also using the daylight spectrum, birdsong also plays and gets louder - she says it is much nicer to wake up to than some harsh sound.

Spring will come, only 14 days to shortest day.

xx

• 14 days, that is unbelievable! I feel happier already.

• Glad to have had that effect - the trouble is it does take a few weeks for us to really notice the difference, but at least the snowdrops start to appear and then I know spring is coming, even if we have jan and feb to get through. I know I shouldnt be wishing time away, but to see the sun consistently again is something to look forward to, along with gardens waking up and becoming colourful again.

• Although we are in a new house, they did a fair amount of landscaping. We have two magnolia bushes with loads of buds already  and eunonymous borders which are already twice the hight from 3 weeks ago. Snowdrops very soon I shouldn't wonder.

• i wish i could send you some sunshine and a few degrees...it was already hot here with 35 degrees...a bit better now 27...but we will get over 40 soon, i'm happy to share.

But i did hear really good effects from that lamp. And if you use it in the morning they say you will sleep better at night.

• Recently we were in Aviemore, now we are in Worthing and the difference in day length is notable. I've never been upset by the shortening days, and I appreciate not being  woken early by the sunrise, but I know many people struggle with less sunlight. I hope the lamp helps. Best wishes 

Sarah 

• Hi OBS, I too hate the short days, I hope your lamp works a treat!

Hi Salis, Yes there is a big difference between Scotland & England, our day, if cloudy can get dark by 15.30 or even before. However we gain during the daylight hours in summer as the sun can rise before 6am and there can still be a bit of light in the sky after 22.40 so best to visit in summer if possible!

Hi Pet, Well I hope you enjoy your 'cooler' temperature of 27 degrees. That is still far too hot for me! A comfortable day in summer here is about 17-18 degrees as our highest temp is around 21 degrees which is still too hot, as we are not used to it! We have had snow, sleet and high winds today and tonight it is -4!

Hi Norberry, Your new garden sounds lovely, I love magnolia trees. It is great you are in before Christmas. How are you and Mrs Norb settling in? I wish you good luck and happiness in your new home. Does that mean you have had to change hospitals?

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • I don’t like the short days and like the sunshine and the summer.

let us know if the lamp helps xx

Ruth 

• Same hospital Annette. Different doctors but my  middle sister is a receptionist there so home from home. Was there yesterday having my hormone injection, almost pleasant. X

• Oh Norbs, I felt the pain of the hormone injection with you. I can't remember if I told you or not, but they have decided I am not to stop mine for at least another 5 years,.....more determination to be here to see it stopped.

The lamp sounds like a good idea my daughter works in an office with no natural light. She leaves for work in the morning in the dark, and comes home at night in the dark, its not nice. I do like the cosy nights though, with the Christmas tree lights on. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Norb, Ouch!!  I'm sure your sister will make sure you are well taken care off, which is great!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!