Diagnosis & Treatment

• 8 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi I have just been diagnosed with soft tissue sarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma in my pelvis which is pretty rare in adults. I have to start chemo next week (Doxorubicin) 6 cycles over 18 weeks ( 3 days chemo a week with a 3 week break. My tumour is inoperable and incurable, has anyone else had a similar diagnosis or treatment, can you offer any advice? I'm scared I'm only 51 and healthy with no side effects from the tumour other than pain walking 

• Hello mammyrocket. I have a completely different cancer but I am sure that someone on here will have similar to you.

Don't be terrified of chemo, it is doable and usually enjoys some success, they would not be doing it otherwise.. Of course there will be some side effects but there are usually treatments to minimise those effects.

Someone will reply with useful suggestions. Xx

• Hi welcome to the forum, sorry you have a need to be here.  I have a different cancer which doesn’t respond to chemo but I know many others on here have had chemo. I was only 54 when I got diagnosed terminal and it’s a hell of a lot to get your head around. Initially I was totally healthy with no symptoms at all which makes it harder to get your head around.  I found this site very helpful as whatever I have been going through there’s someone on here that has experienced similar.  

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Good luck with the chemo hope it helps xxx

Ruth 

• Hello mammyrocket.  I wish you well with the chemo and hope that it has a good result for you. It is a scary thing, but hang on in there - many people don't find it as bad as they thought it was going to be. Let us all know how you get on and keep sharing.. Rainie x

• Hi Mammarocket, Welcome to the Group, I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis but the fact you can have chemo is definitely a positive! Many here have had good results with chemo. Also there are new treatments and drugs being developed all the time now, so the future is not as bleak as you think at the moment. Chemo doesn't work for my cancer but I've read lots of posts here and often once the first chemo is done, it is a relief and not as bad as expected. I hope it is the same for you! Do you have a date yet for chemo to start? 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Mammyrocket,

I have osteosarcoma, not the same, but somehow related. I had it in my leg, had chemo then surgery then more chemo then more surgeries for recurrences in my lungs. Many osteosarcomas respond to chemo but mine doesn't, so in a way, it's good that you will get chemo - I don't anymore. I did doxorubicin, it has side effects but as others have said, you get meds to help manage those. If this is your first time doing chemo, it might be a good idea to also join groups of people with your or similar cancers currently doing chemo. And I can give tips too if you want, as can plenty of others here! It is manageable for most everyone, though a steep learning curve. Are you being treated at a dedicated sarcoma center?

Hope this helps!

Patricia

• Welcome to the group you will get loads of support and advice with our gang we all help each other xx

Flippen
  • Hi Mammyrocket, 

Best of luck with your chemotherapy. The best advice I can give is:

• Take the medication for the side effects as soon as you need them.
    • Keep a notebook or equivalent handy to write down any questions that occur to you.
    • Be kind to yourself.

Best wishes 

Sarah