Descision made, first steps to ill health retirement taken

• 17 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Thank you so much everyone who has given me advice and helpful links regarding ill health retirement.

I have just started my sick leave.

When I was first told that my diagnosis was terminal I really didn't expect that it would be my mental health rather than my physical health that stopped me working. 

My plan now is to get outside more and move more now that I am free from the office chair! Hopefully I will manage some of Rainie's art projects too.

The first thing I did was to cancel all my 'wake up for work' alarms. 

• Hello tvman, You just have to take what you need at any given time and if it helps you get through, it seems to me that at this stage of the game why worry too much? My earlier brush with amyltriptylene was years ago and then I was worried about its long-term use and didn't want my life dictated by a load of meds - then I had options, but now I'd likely swallow them down if it got me through the pain. My short-term memory is getting pretty bad and I often forget to take what meds I do have, which is pretty minimal compared with your pile of pills. I'd have to get one of those dossett boxes or have a big chart pinned to the kitchen wall. Take care, Rainie x

• Hi 

Strange, but I have short term memory loss too. I have also had times when I haven't taken my meds but what was worse was on two occasions I took double morphine.. As I'm on a very high dose, I had to spend a night in hospital both times because there was a risk of my body forgetting to breathe.

Then my wife took over the meds and my son set up Alexa to remind my wife every day at 8am and 8pm. And apart from 2 or 3 times in 3 years my meds have been left for me in a little silver tray on my bedside table. 

Rainie, do you have anyone can do the same for you? That's one task less and taken care of for me and possibly 1 for you too? My meds come in a blister pack apart from the morphine tablets that are kept under lock and key within the pharmacy and only dispensed when my wife or I pick up the blister packs. 

You speak of the dossett boxes, are they the plastic boxes that have little divisions for each day of the week? I used to have those until my meds were so numerous that we couldn't fit them in! That's when I was given blister packs. For you Rainie, I think a dosset box would be an excellent acquisition. If you don't have an Alexa you could set an alarm on your watch. You seem to have a great ability to come up with something yourself so good luck on that front. 

Take care and stay safe Rainie

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi tvman, thanks for your suggestions. My husband reminds me all the time - but that's assuming of course that he remembers to remind me !! But at the moment I've made a card that sits on my place setting saying 'TAKE YOUR PILLS!!!'  I expect in the fullness of time I will get a dossett box. It probably comes to all of us, but I must say I rather like the little silver tray idea.....  Take care. Rainie  x

• When I was on the chemo meds I had an alarm twice a day to remind me to take them, I grew to really hate the alarms, but they did the job! 

Sarah 

• When I was younger and had to take penicillin every day my mother put up signs all over the house saying Ruth take your tablet.

Now I out all mine out for the day in the morning and they are in a row of pots in the kitchen in order so I know if they are there I haven’t taken them that day.

My husband has a dosset  box x

Ruth 

• I know what you mean about alarms. Not having to set one in the morning becomes a sort of luxury. But we have to have these little reminders! Rainie x

• I have bought a weekly tablet pot with a line of pots for each day. Fill them up on Sunday each daily one will fit in my pocket so I can take it with me if I go out for the day and it becomes obvious if I have missed a dose as each day box is split into morning , noon, evening, night and as required 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you