Train of thought

• 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My 5 yo son came and climbed in bed with us at 2:30am last night, which he has been doing lately. A year ago I would have at least thought I should make him go back to his own room. But I thought, he is going through a super hard time, let him. And Toni and I had already talked about how he would be allowed to sleep next to her after I'm gone. Then I thought, maybe I shouldn't let him sleep with us, and get used to sleeping with me there? Because when I die, won't the bed seem awfully empty to him? Almost started crying...

Patricia

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts Patricia. Sending a virtual hug at this time Heart

• Hi 

Difficult one, isn't it? You nearly had me crying too. After the first sentence in my reply I had a look at your profile. My goodness, you have been through the mill, haven't you. 

The bed will feel awfully empty to him but he'll at least have your wife for comfort. That is, if you do leave this earth in a year or less. I say that because in the group we have many many friends who have outlived and outliving by many years. There are trials that many people have been lucky to get onto. If I were you, I'd talk to your oncologist and ask him or her to see if there are any trials available that you could get onto. You may get lucky.

I'm sure others will answer you who are themselves living long past what we affectionately call their sell by date. So good luck Patricia and I look forward to chatting to you in the future.

Tvman x

Love life and family.
  • There are so many things that can just catch you out and remind you of what you are going to miss and what your loved ones will loose.

Love and hugs to you all

Sarah 

• It sounds like a positive opportunity to help him to understand that he will need to be there for Toni once you are gone. Children that age love to feel that they are making a contribution. I would definitely encourage it.

Much love,

Stuart x 

• Thanks all, for the replies and virtual hugs. It helps just to have somewhere to put these thoughts - most other people get realllllly bummed out when you tell them something like this.

Yes, it catches me out Sal, I'll be humming along, and then bam! tvman, my doc already looked for trials, and I was on one earlier, and I tried basically trial medications the last time I did chemo (and landed in the icu). No more for me. But I'm still aiming for at least a year!  Stuart, good idea about asking him to help Toni, he will love that, you're right.

Much love back,

Patricia