Travel insurance

• 16 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hello all, I've just started looking at travel insurance......what a nightmare.  Has anybody any advice, my incurable but treatable lung cancer seems to be posing a problem. 

Thanks Hols

• Hi Hols, I too recently had a look for travel insurance. I have kidney cancer stage 4 which has spread to bones and lungs. Been told it was incurable but treatable originally by oncologist but when speaking to her regarding holiday insurance she also said terminal cancer was the same , which makes a big difference in your quote. I found. My quote from the insurers without speaking yo my oncologist was £4000, so no holidays abroad for me, I can’t afford that amount. 
    Hope you have better luck than I did and please let me know if you do.

Sending love 

Rose xx

• Ive seen similar stories. We obviously seem to be a bigger risk. If i get opportunity to travel now, im staying in UK. That way NHS covers me in an emergency apart from getting home. Theres beautiful places in our country. Good luck.!

• I went with OK To Travel Limited for a two week cruise to Norway in October. It cost about £2k but it was all I could find. Everyone else refused cover altogether.

Good luck. 

Stuart x 

• Hi Rose,

I have had stage 4 kidney cancer for over 6 1/2 years now and have been abroad many times.  My oncologist told me that I am not terminal until I have run out of treatment options and can only be offered palliative care.  I used Eurotunnel insurance (yes the company that runs the underground vehicle carrier trains to France) but in order to get insurance through them you have to book a trip with them.  I have done that previously and got annual European cover (excluding cruises) for about £95 for my whole family including me.  As many trips as I like so long as they are not longer than 30 days.  They rely on you answering a few questions honestly.  I cannot remember the questions at the moment but I'm sure they will be on the website.

Found it, see below

"1 You will be covered for claims arising directly or indirectly from any existing medical conditions, so long as your doctor can confirm that at the time of purchasing the insurance or booking the journey (whichever is later): • you were fit to travel; • your medical condition(s) were stable and there was no sign they would get worse; • you had not been diagnosed as suffering from a terminal illness • you did not know that you would need medical treatment or consultation at any medical facility during your journey; If you need to make a claim arising directly or indirectly from any existing medical conditions, your doctor will be asked to confirm all of the above in writing.

2 You will not be covered if you travel against the advice of a doctor or where you would have been advised not to travel if you had asked for their advice before beginning your journey.

3 You will not be covered if you travel specifically for the purpose of obtaining and / or receiving any elective surgery, procedure or hospital treatment.

Changes in health for annual multi-trip customers

If your health changes after taking out this insurance and the change means that your doctor would no longer be able to confirm all the points listed under 1 above, you can: • make a cancellation claim for any journeys booked before the change in health, or • still travel on any pre-booked journeys or new journey bookings but this policy would not cover you for any medical and associated expenses, cancellation or curtailment or personal accident claims that are directly or indirectly related to any of your existing medical conditions, or • cancel the policy and receive a proportionate refund so long as you have not made a claim or intend to make one. Notes (continued) Indirectly related claims An indirectly related claim means a medical problem that is more likely to happen because of another medical problem you already have. Sometimes these conditions can lead to the development of other conditions. For example if you: • suffer from asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or other lung disease, you are more likely to get a chest infection. • have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes, you are more likely to have a heart attack or a stroke. • have osteoporosis, you are more likely to break or fracture a bone. • have or have had cancer, you are more likely to suffer with a secondary cancer.

General exclusions The following exclusions apply to the whole of your policy: We will not cover you for any claim arising from, or relating to, the following: 1 War, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war is declared or not) civil war, civil commotion, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military force, coup d’etat, terrorism (this does not apply to claims under the Emergency medical and associated expenses - Section 2 and Personal accident - section 7) or weapons of mass destruction. 2 Any epidemic or pandemic. 3 You not following any advice or recommendation made by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, World Health Organisation or any government or other official authority. This includes where certain vaccinations or other preventative measures (such as malaria tablets) are recommended. 4 Any economic sanction which prohibits us, the insurer or members of the Allianz Group from providing cover under this policy. 5 Your property being held, taken, destroyed or damaged under the order of any government or customs officials. 6 Winter sports (unless the appropriate premium has been paid). 7 Ionising radiation or radioactive contamination from nuclear fuel or nuclear waste or any risk from nuclear equipment. 8 Any currency exchange rate changes. 9 The failure or fear of failure or inability of any equipment or any computer program, whether or not you own it, to recognise or to correctly interpret or process any date as the true or correct date, or to continue to function correctly beyond that date (except under the Emergency medical and associated expenses and Personal accident sections). 10 You acting in an illegal or malicious way. 11 The effect of your alcohol, solvent or drug dependency or long term abuse. 12 You being under the influence of solvents or drugs, or doing anything as a result of using these substances (except drugs prescribed by a doctor but not for the treatment of drug or alcohol addiction). 13 You not enjoying your journey or not wanting to travel. 14 Any loss caused as a direct or indirect result of anything you are claiming for, for example loss of earnings, unless it says differently in the policy.

Notes Level of medical cover provided This is not a private medical insurance policy and only gives cover for emergency medical treatment in the event of accident or unexpected illness occurring during your journey. Annual multi-trip policy renewals At the expiry of your period of cover, the terms of your cover and the premium rates may be varied by us. This means we cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide the same terms of cover on your renewed policy or even renew it at all. If you book a journey that does not start until after the expiry date of your policy, you may find that the cover provided for that journey will change when the policy renews."

It is getting the oncologist to agree that you are treatable and not terminal.  If they are not happy t do that then perhaps invite them to cover the difference in cost or ask to change your oncologist to one that is happy to use that definition.

Prior to that I used "Insurancewith".  I could only get single trip cover from them and when I last used (about 5 years ago)  them it cost me about £77 for two weeks in Greece.  It took a long phone call to get through the questions as you cannot book online with an illness such as cancer.  I have heard others say that Boots offer good cover and are easy to deal with.

There is a group which looks at insurance issues and other members can offer advice about where they have gone.  I understand that it does get more expensive if you travel outside of Europe but it is still worth looking at.

My advice would be to keep on looking and check out the group on here.  I intend to keep on goig on holiday so long as I am physically capable.

All the best,

Gragon x

• Hi gragon

thank you for your help. Unfortunately, my oncologist did say I had a terminal illness and this is what she would say if there were any problems, therefore, leaving the policy invalid as they would say I misled them.

as for changing oncologists. I don’t think I have the energy to start looking for another one.
    but thank you anyway for your help, and I’m sure it’s helped other people.

I will keep on looking and let you know how I do.

regards

Rose xx

• Hi ,

I appreciate what you are saying and it is entirely up to you if you challenge your Oncologist but I would offer a few observations.

Everybody is terminal as everyone living eventually dies.  When insurance companies look at paying out on terminal illness cover on life insurance they define terminal as likely to die within the next six months (sometimes twelve months).  Has your oncologist given any indication as to how ling they expect you to survive?  If you are receiving treatment which is stopping the cancer from progressing they would not pay out as they would say that the cancer is not likely to kill you until it progresses, even slowing down the advance of cancer would be likely to be enough to stop them from paying out.

If you have a Macmillan nurse then it might be helpful to talk to them as they may be able to discuss this with the oncologist on your behalf.  They will have experienced this issue before and will be more aware of what arguments are likely to persuade the oncologist to support you.

Wishing you all the best in securing your insurance and enjoying your holidays.

Gragon x

• Thank you.

I agree with you so much. And in all honesty I would only be travelling if I felt fit and well to do so. I'm 53 with no health issues except for my cancer which I still wouldn't know I have except for finding that lump on my neck. No medication except Immunotherapy and vitamins. And everything stable. So I shall keep looking. Thank you again.

Hols

• I go on holiday to Europe every year and have relied on my EHIC card for emergency treatment . 
    I would just fly home if I had a problem . I know I feel well enough to travel and take out basic insurance 

Ruth 

• There is now a GHIC card . Global health insurance card.

you just need to apply on line with your NI number 

Ruth 

• Hi gragon,

thank you for your reply. My husband and I have just bought a motorhome and have decided to visit all around uk. My insurance policy did say they would pay out if you had less than 6 months to live. After contacting my oncologist they have paid out, so I’m not really sure if that’s a good thing or bad. Can’t quite make up my mind on that one.

I suppose my oncologist can’t support me both ways. She’s obviously helped with the life insurance but then cant reverse her decision for travel. All very complicated. I suppose I have decided to holiday in uk and make the best of it whilst I can.

my oncologist was against travel abroad because of Covid anyway I think.

thsnks for all your help

regards

Rose xxx