Surgery with 7% morbidity- any thoughts?

• 8 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My oncologist has suggested  stoma surgery as the tumour is growing on my bowel to try palliative chemo so take chance to add little more time( info in my profile).

I already had 2 open tummy surgery and the anesthetist has said the morbidity is 7%.

I'm decided 80% to go ahead, has anyone else has any similar risks with surgery or any thoughts/advice to offer?

• All surgery has risks.

that is definitely a risk worth taking you have to weigh up the benefits 

Good luck.

Ruth xxx

Ruth 

• My feeling would be what is further survival odds if no treatment ?

• 13 months ago I had a surgery to put 2 bars behind my spine to support a damaged vertebrae. The operation caused the tumour on spine to fall over onto my spinal cord.  6 weeks later I was practically paralysed from the waist down and my T6 vertebrae collapsed causing my spine to drop and crush the nerves in my back causing excruciating pain.  They talked about doing an op to reduce the tumour and take out 2 vertebrae (T5 & T6) and put a cage in. They weren’t sure they would do it as it had a 12 month recovery time and they weren’t sure I had 12 months. As the tumour was a renal cancer tumour they bled profusely so they laid it out as follows

5% chance of dying on the table

10% chance of dying from complications before leaving hospital

20 to 25% chance of op failing to improve anything and I would go on to be fully paralysed from bottom of ribs down

I discussed it with my wife and we agreed the chances of my dying before leaving hospital would be bad for her but I probably would be none 5he wiser. If the op failed to make a difference I was no worse off but had tried.

as it was despite them having to replace three quarters of the blood in my body I was out of hospital afte 5 days not the 7 to 10 minimum they had said and 11 months later I can walk 12500 steps in day with no help at all.  

They said I had a 1 in 10 chance of dying and a 1 in 5 chance of it making no difference but I took that as a 9 in 10 chance of surviving and a 4 in 5 chance of it improving my mobility soo glad I did.  Way up all of the outcomes and make a decision you are comfortable with

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• What a wise  decision xx

Ruth 

• it was but by heck is it a scary time

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi Shebu, I've just read this and also your profile. I don't think we've chatted before, so maybe you post normally in a different group. Anyway, hi! I actually think 7% is good odds! As others say, all surgery has risks and they have to give you the worst case scenario, so the way I see it is 93% positive. I had a similar surgery to Richard (Remoh) and was told the chances of me being paralysed were 50/50 and I still went ahead. I'm not paralysed but have not been as fortunate as Richard in the long run as I am very limited with mobility, as I was before the op but I would still have it again.

Only you can make this decision by having all the ups and downs in your possession so it is an informed decision. I would write a list of each and see which is longest! Good luck!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Remoh, you are so brave and so happy it all worked out for you.

Thank you everyone for your wise words it'll help in weighing up benefits etc

• Not brave just playing the odds lol. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you