Pain

• 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

I wanted to share something that I was taught a while ago and it helps me. I get that it won't help everybody and some will think it's not worth the effort, but maybe if it resonates with just one person it may help. Firstly, it only works with nerve pain. It's a visualisation technique that uses your brain power to block the pain signal. It's an effort and you need to practice doing it, but I can testify that you can do it. I need to lie flat in a quiet space and be comfy. I imagine a large thumb (you can imagine something else that gives a similar effect, but a thumb works for me). With your mind, go to the epicentre of your pain - the very worst of it - and try to imagine that you are pressing that thumb down onto that pain. Press hard. It will take a while to connect but when it does you will know it. Like a roadblock, I can feel the pain wriggling under the pressure, trying to get away on it's journey to my brain. My 'mental thumb' is interrupting it and it tries to divert itself along another pathway. I'm able to block it doing this, but it needs an awful lot of concentration to be able to sustain this. However, I find the exercise very empowering. I can't manage more than 20 mins of it but just proving to myself that I can tune in and do it somehow makes me feel better. I was told about this years ago by an osteopath and at the time practiced it on sciatic pain and found I could stop it. I've tried it out again recently and had some success. I'm not suggesting it'll be much of an answer to what we're all experiencing and facing, but somehow just knowing it's possible makes me feel stronger. Hope you don't mind my putting this up for discussion, Maybe somebody else has had experience of this technique?

• Thanks Rainieday, I've been thinking about mindful techniques for controlling pain and this is a great start. I'm absolutely positive that it would be possible to suppress my own pain and it's an area that I am extremely keen to look into.

Stuart x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I learned mindfulness for pain - it concentrates on your breathing - you have to literally keep your mind on the breath in breath out and while you are concentrating on that you don’t feel the pain.  I use the technique a lot but it does depend on how much pain you are in, it can be hard to keep your focus.

• It's really worth trying Stuart. good luck. RD

• You're right about keeping your focus - it is an effort to do this. When I began I was so amazed that I connected that this thought was enough of a distraction to sever the connection instantly. So clearing your mind of things takes some practice, but the more I did it, the easier it got. I think of it like tuning in an old wireless. (for those of us who can remember what a wireless is - and not WiFi either.)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Rainieday

You have to accept the thoughts that come in, acknowledge them and dismiss them.  Some people use techniques like putting them on a leaf in a stream but that is too airy fairy for me so I just dismiss them and let them waft away