Memory Walk

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 69 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My brother in law was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia at the same time as I was diagnosed with incurable but treatable metastatic cancer. It was estimated that he would need full time residential care within 4 years. My prognosis after gamma knife surgery to a brain & skull tumour was 6-18 months, possibly 2 years.

That was a year ago. My BIL died last May aged 70. He went from an emergency admission to hospital into respite care & then full time care in the first 3 months of last year, & by that time we were in lockdown. Difficult times.

I signed up for the Memory Walk before I needed a wheelchair, so wasn’t sure if it would count, but it is a workout, I was knackered after the first leg yesterday. No doubt it’ll get easier, looking forward to the next bit already. I’ll post photos & updates here so I don’t highjack another thread xx

• If I may butt in here I have to agree with you about steep kerbs. When I use my manual wheelchair I notice how tough it is in some towns, my nearest large town has some footpaths that are in such a steep angle towards the road to rightfully drain off the rainwater but do they have to be so steep? In some cases I have to just use one arm to propel myself and boy is it tough to do so. If the town planners spent a day in a wheelchair they would understand.

My worst occasion happened when I went to my bank and there is no slope to get in, just 3 or 4 steep steps from the pavement. I was told that because the bank is a listed building they can't change the frontage. I think in the days of equality, that decision is rubbish and it's my next campaign to raise that with equality people. Anyway, so two members of staff lifted me up the steps and I made my way in. There is one of those foldable ramps like they have in train stations but it's so steep to get to the top, it's impossible to propel myself to the top.

When I had finished my business, the bank was so busy there was only one female cashier available so she duly laid the ramp down and attempted to hold on to me but between my weight and the steepness of the ramp she wasn't able to hang on to the handles of the chair. I went careering down the ramp, hit the pavement at such a steep angle that I bounced around and came to a shuddering stop right at the edge of the kerb, just able to avoid careering into the traffic. My heart was in my mouth, in fact I think everyone around had their heart in their mouth! I haven't been back but relating this is you makes me think I should contact the council and every one else I think could help.

An amusing anecdote on which to end this post although it was far from amusing as I hurtled towards the road. Just for a few seconds though, then I saw the funny side when I looked back to see the horror etched on people's faces.

Take care and stay safe Tinalay

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

The worst thing is that it makes you feel so vulnerable and there isn't always going to be someone around who can help. My sister very often has her heart in her mouth looking at the angle of the chair. Hurtling towards traffic must have been terrifying I'm not sure there's a funny side to that xx

• That sounds really scary tvman, the bank certainly don't come out shining, they are lucky you were uninjured. 

Sarah 

• Wow Tvman that does sound scarey! Salis is right, the bank were lucky you weren't injured but I think you should write to them to let them know what happened and how you fealt. I'm almost sure the member of staff was so embarrassed she didn't tell a sole!

To be honest, I don't remember how many times Ive complained about potholes! Especially if it has been raining and it just looks like a puddle! I have fallen out of my manual wheelchair once due to a pothole. My husband has to push me on many occasions, althought I did get a self propelled wheelchair, I cannot always manage it. I have a pin from my shoulder to my elbow on my right arm (due to a tumour) which gets tired quite quickly. Especially on hills, cobbles and carpets! Some of the worst places are between the pavement and the shops. They have a 'lip' where the pavement meets the door and can also stop you in your tracks. I do also have an electric buggy but can't use it everywhere!

Everyone on buggies and wheelchairs please write to the council to let them know how stressful it can be! I don't go out alone in either my buggy or wheelchair!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • That was a nasty experience. I used to push my mother to the opticians. She really liked the place and the optician was the son of the previous one who knew my father. There were several steps to get into the shop and then again to get to the opticians room once inside the shop.

it was very steep. I used to have to take a run at it to get in and hold on really tight doming down. I know what you mean. 

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Our original target for the Memory Walk was £250

Today we hit £1,978!!! Gob smacked, humbled and over the moon. 2 and a half miles to do tomorrow to hit 26miles, just my sister, my dog and me, We’ll thinking of my darling BIL and missing him like crazy, it’s only been 10 months. Wouldn’t wish another day on him with that awful illness that ríps families apart though. 

xx

• Wow what an amazing amount! The charity must be ecstatic, as you must be yourself!  It has been terrific just reading about it! Thanks for sharing!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Tired girl today, so a day off. No wait, we’ve finished, yay us!!! xx

• Fantastic, well done to you, your sister and Sula

X

Sarah