Memory Walk

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 69 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My brother in law was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia at the same time as I was diagnosed with incurable but treatable metastatic cancer. It was estimated that he would need full time residential care within 4 years. My prognosis after gamma knife surgery to a brain & skull tumour was 6-18 months, possibly 2 years.

That was a year ago. My BIL died last May aged 70. He went from an emergency admission to hospital into respite care & then full time care in the first 3 months of last year, & by that time we were in lockdown. Difficult times.

I signed up for the Memory Walk before I needed a wheelchair, so wasn’t sure if it would count, but it is a workout, I was knackered after the first leg yesterday. No doubt it’ll get easier, looking forward to the next bit already. I’ll post photos & updates here so I don’t highjack another thread xx

• Hi Tinalay, Well, a likely story! I'm just wondering how long it took you to train Sula to "pick up" men!

Tvman, I always imagined Conan was a German Shepherd but ah he's gorgeous. Maybe Tinalay will give you some tips about how to train him to pick up ladies!! You are missing a trick there! Please don't tell Mrs Tvman though!

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette

Conan(the vandal) to give him his full title, is a Soft Coated Irish Wheaten Terrier. Yes he's a real cutie and he's well loved by everyone but he's pretty non plussed as regards the loving of family members. He's the strangest dog we have ever had in that respect.

We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday and I hope everyone has the same over the weekend.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Pretty shaggy dog. Quite large would have fun with my Oliver 

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Conan is rediculously cute, I've never seen a dog like him, I'm sure Sula would love him Blush xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Really enjoyed the second part of the Memory Walk yesterday, 2 whole hours in the fresh air, spring flowers and lambs. I couldn't have done it without Sarah who had to walk in the middle of the road a couple of times because of a plumbers van and private car parked fully across the pavement. I couldn't see round them so would have had to turn back.

There was no one around to talk to and I don't believe in the name and shame culture on Facebook, so I sent a photo to the plumbing company and one to the council and asked them to remind people to keep the pavements free.

There was another short section of the walk without a pavement, and I felt very vulnerable because a few of the cars came too close and didn't slow down. As my friend said they'd have treated me with more respect if I was a horse!

Sadly it means I won't do that particular walk again, if it felt a bit tricky in lockdown it'll be worse when things get back to normal and there's plenty of other walks.

• Money could not buy that two hours. What a lovely day out. Xx

• , he'd love to run around with your Oliver, he loves other dogs.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Another great day out and a few more miles added to the Memory Walk. Castle Howard looked stunning today in warm sunshine. We saw some time lambs on the way there, swans, ducks and fish when we were there, tons of daffodils, primroses and some rhododendrons, and lots of families with young children enjoying the weather and the freedom.

I had an attack of vertigo on one of the hills and there were tears, but it didn't last long and Kirsty who was with me got me to zig zag the rest of the way up the hill. I got stuck once coming off grass and onto gravel, the footplates got stuck in the gravel. A lovely young man put the chair on manual, pulled it back, turned me round and took the chair down backwards. They had a double buggy and said backwards was the way to go. Unlike the workman from a few days ago he asked if we'd like help, explained what he was doing and took it very slowly so I felt safe.

Kirsty did 8,000 steps which is about 4 miles bringing our total to 13 miles. I'll do a short walk locally tomorrow and have booked the accessible taxi for Wednesday to do a bigger chunk. xx