another book reccommendation

• 7 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi All,

I know plenty of people have read and appreciated "With the End in Mind" by Kathryn Mannix ( and I can only highly reccomend it too - takes away so much fear). I have just finished another book which deals with the same issues, in a slightly different way, but equally comforting in many ways. It is "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande . I know it has been mentioned by others, but not for a while. The writer is a doctor who spent a lot of time looking at aging and end of life, and asking what is important to people as they approach the end of life for whatever reason. Some of his findings are inspiring, and challenge the traditional medical model of intervention and doing everything to save life, when what is often most important to someone is quality not quantity. One passage that stuck with me is about when the time comes for doctors  ( and patients) to switch from fighting for time, to fighting for the things which matter like comfort, time with family or simply being able to enjoy chocolate icecream. And how hard that conversation is, most often for family.

It may be a hard read for many and not a book everyone wants to read, but if you are up for a long hard look at death and dying, then I think you will find it inspiring. Word of warning  though, I am an unemotional soul and can read stuff that has others in tears. Maybe a working life of hearing other people's tragedies has had its effects. I can empathise, without being swallowed whole.

x