What to say...

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Me again, asking for some guidance and support as my family adapt to the changes in our lifestyle.

One of the knock on effects of the pandemic is that over the last 10 days of being in hospital for an emerging medical emergency I’m the only one who’s been able to speak to a Dr and I’m my families  only source of information.

I’ve realise that looking well and having some spark thanks to the very high steroids makes it difficult for them to accept the flip side of the coin. The reality is that the cancer is progressing very quickly and we’re close to end of life care.

I’m getting a wheelchair on Mon and a mobility scooter next week & am looking forward to being able to take Sula got a walk in the lovely spring weather. I’m nervous about meeting people for the 1st time, about people feeling sorry for me or just being very uncomfortable around me.

I’ve let it be known that the cancer is pressing on my spine & is causing mobility issues, but otherwise it’s business as usual.

how did you cope when you went into a wheelchair?

your mobility has suffered greatly, how did you/do you cope? 
Any thoughts gratefully received. A couple of years ago I was nervous about being seen in a wig! xx

• Hi Tina, I had a similar reaction as yours to the wig I got. As you say, without eyebrows and eyelashes, even with hair, you look different. I hadn't expected the eyebrows and eyelashes to disappear, I don't know why. The first time I wore a wig, we met a neighbour who said "Oh, I had heard you were in hospital but you look worse than I expected, what have you done to your hair?" That was the only time I wore it except once when we went on holiday, I wore it on the first day and it was so hot, I had to take it off so bought a floppy sun hat. I never wore it again!

The wheelchair came about when I was at a Marie Currie Hospice for an exercise class I had put my name down for. It was only when I was there, I realised there was no way I could do the exercises. The OT suggested a wheelchair and gave me one away. I was so stubborn, I continued on my 2 elbow crutches and the wheelchair remained in the car. My husband would say we can take it with us and then it is there if you need it but I insisted I was fine with my crutches but was in so much pain, I started to avoid going out. Then one day it dawned on me, if you can't see properly, you wear glasses, can't hear, you get hearing aids, so what's the difference, if you can't walk, use a wheelchair. However after a couple of uses we realised the chair was a very old fashioned heavy one and the pavements are not very flat and there isn't always a lower bit to cross the road. My husband was exhausted. We handed it back with a donation to the hospice. We bought an extra lightweight wheelchair and never looked back. The strain was gone on my husbands face and I could once again hear the birds, see the trees and go to the seaside, it was magic. As others have said, people are so kind and open doors etc. The problem had been me, no one else! 
    Then that Christmas our son bought me a smallish electric buggy that came in 5 pieces so we could put it in the boot and when we got to where we were going, I could go under my own steam and keep up with my grandchildren going along the Esplanade, it was amazing.

To be honest it didn't cross my mind to get an electric chair but I am thinking about it now! We have been talking about trading in the buggy, so I will have a look at them because I can't put the buggy together on my own. You have bought it just at the right time, just as the daffodils are starting to bloom and the nights are getting lighter, hopefully the weather will get warmer day by day! Enjoy the sun, wind and even the rain on your face! It feels amazing!  Sorry for the long post!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

I can’t tell you how much easier the power chair is. It’s so easy to regulate and operate and is a normal size.

Mine is not light weight, it would be heavy for getting in and out of the car and also needs to be dismantled. Mine is for getting out with the dog locally,   tells me you can hire chairs in a lot of locations with a bit of forward planning.

When i take my wheelchair friends out wrestling with their chairs is sometimes exhausting.

Have a look at the Quingo site  & I’ll PM you too. xx

• So glad a wheelchair has helped your life. My mum loved going out in hers we took her to Weston out for lunch and to the shops it was wonderful for her. She loved the attention of others and the way people opened doors for her.. I don’t need one yet. I did have one when I broke my leg and was grateful to be able to get out and about 

love xxx

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Our youngest son went on a boy’s weekend in Amsterdam when he finished uni. Amongst other things someone shaved off just 1 of his eyebrows,  it completely changed his appearance.

Sadly my mum died so there was a funeral to attend. He went to Boots & a young lady showed him how to draw his eyebrows in & you really couldn’t tell.

Hair loss is not so dramatic with wigs, caps etc, so when I lost my eyebrows & eyelashes I went off to Boots. I ended up with 2 thick upside down ticks that wouldn’t have been out of place along with a shell suit. (No offence, but I’m on the wrong side of 60)

So my son showed me & I’ve never looked back. Just have to be careful or I could spend a day looking slightly worried or just a bit dim Wink xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh COME on Tina - ham it up and add in a RED nose!!! Hahaha... (& maybe a Groucho tache and glasses - don't forget the stogie...)

Then go round to that woman from the pub on your new transport and blow her an enormous RASPBERRY!!!! Hehehe

• This is from a man , Baron SiT, whose opinions are always wrong....but ....on this occasion, he is bang on. I would worry that you are fueling his fantasies but it does sound somewhat alluring!

Get that hooter on.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I'd also like to add that Norberry has spent his entire LIFE looking both worried AND a bit dim...

• Hi 

I had a quick look at the Quingo website, the one I have is similar to the blue one but a different manufacturer. Almost all the spec is the same.

Enjoy your chair

Tvman xx

Love life and family.