Don't mention the bus!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 60 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I'm sure between us we could write a book on what not to say to someone with a terminal diagnosis. 

"We're all going to die"

"I could be hit by a bus tomorrow"

are fairly high on my list, along with "what's going to happen to your dog?" and "have you lost all the hair down below?" (why do you ask???)

My sister was very upset by something my cousin said to me yesterday, "we're all terminal"

We're all mortal. There's a huge difference between being mortal and being told that advanced metastatic cancer is progressing and likely to be the cause of your death in a matter of months.

We're all going to die but hopefully most of us will not be having treatment that makes us very sick, invasive tests and the constant threat of complications hanging over us.

Depending on your source the chances of being hit by a bus are 1 in 3.2 million.

We all appreciate that it's hard and sometimes impossible to say the right thing, and that sometimes people blurt, but some of these throw away comments that trivialise what we're experiencing should be gently put to rest.

We're all in the same storm, we are not in the same boat. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    • Well said.  Personally I can’t stand the “I’m so sorry” - for some reason that one invokes a violent response that I have to battle to keep under control.  Not really sure why other than that I don’t want sympathy, just want to be treated like normal.
  • Can I say Tinalay your post made me laugh, the bus anecdote hilarious. Every person newly diagnosed should read this so they know what to expect. Their friends and family also should read it so they know what to expect with a badly thought out casual remark. Xxx

• I'm sure we've all had them when we're at our lowest. After first diagnosis my boss was talking about when i wouldn't be able to work (far too soon, now I'd bite his hand off) 

After finishing chemo knowing I'm not cured a well meaning colleague related it to a rebirth ( wtf)

As for the bus scenario I'd respond that if you knew you were going to be run over by a bus, you'd avoid buses, we cannot avoid whatcoming for us unfortunately 

I didn't respond as the comments weren't  meant maliciously

However i did respond to a nurse who was giving me hormone injection. She said that at least you'll understand what us women go through with the menopause, my response was at least you can get hrt. She was good as gold after that.  I got on really well and was disappointed when covid came around and she no longer did them.

• Hi 

Excellent post, and some brilliant responses to put in my memory bank. After diagnosis I bumped into my wife's sister at another relative's house and I asked her if she had heard about my diagnosis and it was she who said that she might get run over by a bus tomorrow. I was shocked at that, no sympathy in that statement. 

That was a comment from someone when I started a discussion regarding unwelcome, uncaring comments. 

Anyway, I hope you're relieved that there is probably a Plan BGrinning

Take care and stay safe Tinalay

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Your post is so true tinalay. I've experienced some pretty thoughtless comments in my time but was really taken aback by one the other day on patient transport"..." You've got cancer. ...so how long have you got left to live then? "" . I have forgiven her because she was learning disabled but responded that I didn't know as I didn't wish to know and was living my life one day at a time but , like you, I do wish some people would engage their brain before opening their mouths. Lovely to meet you by the way. Love lamb.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Little lamb

Wow!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Little lamb

Hi Lamb

Just read thru your bio - goodness me, what a journey...

It makes your occasional rage (&the sacrificial Mary) seem entirely understandable!!!

Very happy for you that you are finding a way to work thru it and determined to make the most of everything...

Stay Strong

SiT

• Hi Gang, Great discussion subject Tinalay and terrific replies everyone! For some of the newer Members I'm sure they won't have heard a lot of these comments made by "caring friends, family and colleagues"! one of the most upsetting ones happened a few months after diagnosis when I had been in and out of hospital for various surgeries. I met someone from the Tennis Club I had been a member of for 20+ years and she actually said to me "OH hi Annette, when you weren't on the list for the team this summer, I assumed you had died already! Well at least I didn't miss the funeral"                           It was only when I looked at my husband's face, I thought he was going to punch her and he's one of the most tolerant people I know. So I thought we'd better get out of there and said "nice to see you again J********* but we are in a rush now..... good luck with the matches........bye!!!

I do think some people should say nothing! Don't you??

have a great weekend everyone!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • wow that was a big one....

i just hate it when they all say>>> but you don't look sick!! And my sister ask me once, after a year or so, so Pet when are you going to die now? As prognosis was only a year...i just said sorry i'm not dead yet!

• Gosh what a terrible thing to say.Unbelievable 

after my father had just died a neighbour where they lived came up to me in the street and said. Is it true your father has died? In a very matter of fact way. I was quite shocked and upset and didn’t really know what to say.

people can be so thoughtless.

when I got diagnosed a lot of people said completely  the wrong things like how are you ? And I had a friend who had cancer and she is all clear now .

or I had a friend with cancer who died 

Ruth