Crafts

• 98 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi everyone

A couple of years ago we used to have a great interest in crafts that members did but it seems to have fizzled out, there was quite a bit of knitting and crocheting that the ladies used to show on the site. Don't worry men, you can do some too, it's definitely not just for ladies. 

I vaguely remember that when I was around the ages of 4 to 10 years old, so that's almost 60 years ago, my mum showed me how to knit a few items and it doesn't stop there, I can remember that I was fond of little rug making kits. I made a little bedside rug by following instructions and in the mornings when I got out of bed my cold feet landed on a cosy woollen rug. Those kits were very common, anyone remember them? Maybe they're still around, anyone seen them lately? Wool shops, as we called them in Belfast, were plentiful in every town and city. 

I haven't made any woollen items but I have been working with wood a little. For my wife's last birthday in May I made her a little easel as she likes to paint now and then. This is it 

For Christmas past, I made a few little bird feeders for some close family members, you pull the cork out at the top and fill with nuts or whatever. My wife did the paintwork, I was a little worried thatGrinning she used grey wood preservative because I thought that made them look like a pigeon and small birds are afraid of pigeons but to my delight little birds were abundant and soon scoffed the lot! We Grinningdon't have any squirrels in this area unfortunately although I have seen the occasional one a mile or so away. Hopefully they'll come to the little wood of 1500 willow trees I planted in the field oppoGrinningsite. Willow trees are great for attracting wildlife, I was told. The photo below is of one of the birds that I kept for myself Grinning

So let's get making folks, it's a wonderful activity and let's see what you've done/what you make. 

Tvman xx

• Flipping emojis, they have a mind of their own!!

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Reading your post has set off exhaustion in me! I used to feel the same when Ellie posted, she is probably painting her house as we speak!

1970s those rug kits, I bet thousands are in lofts half finished.

That enough talk of work and effort, I am having drink!

• Love the bird seed holders.  I would buy one of those off you for my sister if you fancy making another.  I make things quite a lot, I like to embroider, and I do a bit of simple silver clay work or silver wire jewellery.  I like working with paper and I just finished a December photo journal, which includes pics of me having my chemo lol.  I have a little photo printer called the hp sprocket 200 which prints 3x2 photos and this is what I have used for the journal.

I woke up this morning - result!!

• Hi tv man

I love what you made so clever I’m given you a gold star.Good way of keeping yourself busy.Hibiscus

Each day a blessing stay strong 

• Thank you 

Grinning

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi TVman, I just love wife's easel, she is a very lucky lady. Now as for the large bird feeder, it is sensational. I wonder can they be made smaller and sold for charity! If so, I'd love one, so I will be at the top of the Waiting List for one!

I see there are lots of Crafty people out there, it's brilliant! If I can get it to upload, I will show you what our 2 granddaughters made for me for my 70th birthday last August. Their mum kept them right but they wouldn't allow her to actually DO any of it! They were at it for months during Lockdown last year. Not only was I born in the year of the Tiger but they are my favourite animals!  Here goes!           Sorry, I couldn't get the photo of my framed white tiger made of very small beads. If I figure out how to do it, I will try again.

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette - when you do a reply you will see third one along is a photo option, click that and you can upload.  I would love to see what your granddaughters made for you xx. Also, get in line for the bird feeder from tvman!!

Maz x

I woke up this morning - result!!

• Thanks amazon for putting how to put a photo on.I often want to show something but couldn’t work it out.When Gina was with us on the Lung  Cancer site I asked her and I still couldn’t work it out I didn’t like to say so gave up.She was always there to help miss her.Anyhow found it Mind I have got better glasses now.he he 

I’m in the queues too! Socially Distanced of course.he he he Take care

• I do mean Maz See what I mean! I going to try and get better at this. New year resolution! gave up on trying to lose weight each year.he he 

• Oh wow what a handyman you are !!! Just great...your wife must be proud! Love the bird feeder, it's excellent!!!