Calling to all of you, we have equivalence

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi, 

It's been many months since I last posted. It thoroughly interested me and had a lot of exchange of experience, encouraging and supporting. 

My story started in 2011 when I was diagnosed with GBM grade 4, then very quickly had brain debulking surgery, followed on with 6 weeks radio with chemo temozolomide, as I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I was young, newly married and my wife 9 months pregnant with our first. 

One cannot ever prepare for the diagnosis to be told that you are time limited, the medical prognosis dictating how long/short you have left. By the way, that being told to you, in itself, will shorten one's life, just thinking that there is nothing to fight for but to give in, and give in very soon. 

We as the receiver of this prognosis, we know it feels like an instruction, not to have hope or fight but to accept it's going to consume you very quickly and just try and enjoy the rest of your life. 

We, though know that disobedience to that prognosis/instruction, fighting our own corner, often lonely, stressful and depressing. With hope that you've fought to create, comes the constant and crushing reminder every time the Oncologist reminds you that you don't have long left. WHY WHY do you need to tell me that again when we are pushing focus on getting ourselves better, fighting back hard - it only serves to knock you off your feet. 

My story is long and very detailed, so for another time/post. 

We are coming up to ten years, not the 6 to 9 months... 

Will continue in another post, 

Thinking of and thanking all of my comrades! 

R

• God said, i agree...and congrats on beating the odds...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I totally agree -  it really is not necessary.  When the doc who diagnosed me kept saying how sorry he was, not just the once but repeatedly, I honestly wanted to hit him very hard.  Don’t tell me you are sorry, tell me what you can do.  Every time they remind me I don’t  have long, eg in a letter saying I am unlikely to have as much as 18 months, or sounding surprised when I say I intend to be around for a while, I think how rude of them.  Ok, don’t tell me lies but don’t make an unknown seem like it is the only reality.

Thank you for posting this, here’s to many more years for all of us xxx