Last Christmas I gave you my heart...

• 5 replies
  • 49 subscribers

As the song goes by Wham "This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special"

Merry Christmas to all ho ho ho. Given our rather difficult prognoses and wondering if it is my last, I wondered how people were celebrating this year. I am going retro and trying to invoke the spirit of Christmases past. So.... advocaat bought for snowballs, I finished wrapping up the pressies for the Christmas stockings reinstated despite the children being 30 and 32 years old. I am making a fruit flan in those sponge flan cases complete with red quick jel. and a home made trifle is on the books. 

I think that Christmas can be a mixed blessing and evokes many mixed emotions. I am determined to make the most of it swapping desperation for celebration I hope.

My mother is too frightened of Covid to join us but I will have my ex-husband and my current (final) husband to entertain me, what could possibly go wrong?

I am just so happy to be alive.

Nicky

• Hi Nicky

Both at the same time? What a cosy threesome lol.

I look forward to wishing you a merry Christmas next year, don't even think about leaving us before that Nicky, we've lost too many good people lately.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • I echo Tvman Nicky, you stay with us! 

• Hi Nicky..we will have a quiet Christmas this year, Kids have just been here to visit, they life 1700 kms away..so it's only hubby and i. But we will have good food and hopefully it's not getting to hot here, forecast is approx 29 degrees. Slight smile

• Thanks for your responses, much appreciated, I don't plan on leaving for a while. Perhaps I gave the wrong impression? The post was more about when you think it might be your last, what are you doing to make Christmas extra special. I have always loved Christmas but this year I feel like a child again.

Nicky xx

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • Hi Nicky, Yes I got what you meant but the christmas I thought was going to be my last, didnt turn out like that, thankfully! I think it was BECAUSE I wanted it to be an extra special Christmas, I thought about it  too much. I wanted my last Christmas to be perfect and one everyone would remember for a long time!

Well, everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong. I had an idea it wasnt going to be plain sailing when my very first online supermarket delivery didn't arrive on 23rd as planned, so I phoned Asda to see what had happened to it and was told I ticked the delivery date as the day before New Years Eve innstead of the day before Christmas Eve!  On Christmas Eve I had to go shopping with my husband the very day I had been trying to avoid. That was the start of a disastrous Day. I burnt my soup (first time ever) left things in the oven instead of putting them onto the plate, dropped a whole jar beetroot on the kitchen floor! It certainly wasnt going to be a Christmas they wouldn't forget but for all the wrong reasons! 

Thankfully, that was Christmas 2013! So I've made it up to everyone since then, thank heavens!!! If i had continued thinking that was, the Christmas since, might have gone the same route but I no longer think "is this my last ...)  i just get on with enjoying the Festive Season, birthdays, family birthdays etc etc and make sure I relax and enjoy every moment!

I'm sure your grown up children will love the "chocolate pennies, sherbert dips, swizzels " etc they got when they were young! Also the silver sixpence in their stocking! We thought we were rich and didnt spend it all at once! Lol!

Those were the days my friend! Remember the New Seekers song! Its the Christmas Carols that bring a lump to my throat now, does anyone else find this?

Everyone have a terrific day and a terrific healthy year to follow!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!